What’s the best HVAC Building Automation & Control Wiring used for terminating control wiring from 24volts to 600v plus rated wiring?

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!
Occupation
HVAC ELECTRICIAN
Can you make a post about the best stranded wiring with insulation type for building automation and controls for hvac & refrigeration? 600V plus wire types that are good for vfd’s and more.

Very interested to see what you post!

garbo

Vast majority of automation & controls that I came across was solid wire especially #16 guage & smaller. Any time we ran these in conduit we used solid wire if #16 or 14 guage. If we ran Beldon type of low voltage cable it had stranded conductors. At the 5 million square foot campus that I retired from we had over 500 VFD'S. All had THWW for line & loads on VFD'S. Some were on plain Jane NEMA frame motors from the 1960's. All had a copper properly sized ground conductor from drive to motors. Tried to keep wire length from drives to motors under 100'. Had four VFD'S for 75 HP cooling towers that were several hundred feet away but never gave us any problems. A few months ago a poster stated he now only uses believe he said Type XHHN wire for drives. To me that would be a better choice.