What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotConductor

I meggered two #8 thhn conductors in an underground conduit. I tested them(Fluke 1587)against each other @500v for a one minute test period and they tested fine(550 meggohms). I then tested them each to a 277v good source with my Knopp K60 and they were both grounded. I've had the same thing happen in the past. I tested one conductor at a time with every other conductor connected together and they insulation tested fine. They weren't though.

Am I doing something wrong with the insulation test?

knoppdude

I meggered two #8 thhn conductors in an underground conduit. I tested them(Fluke 1587)against each other @500v for a one minute test period and they tested fine(550 meggohms). I then tested them each to a 277v good source with my Knopp K60 and they were both grounded. I've had the same thing happen in the past. I tested one conductor at a time with every other conductor connected together and they insulation tested fine. They weren't though.

Am I doing something wrong with the insulation test?
Hi HotConductor. Can you go into more detail about testing using the 277v applied? I don't think you are doing anything wrong with the megger, but I would need more information about the other test before I could conclude anything.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Are you saying that your Knopp gave a voltage indication even though the wire under test was not connected to anything on either end? What is the length of these wires? I am not familiar with a Knopp.

Isolate the wires on each end. Test each to earth or the conduit if it is metallic. Make sure you allow it to discharge after the test. Check the next, etc. Then check each against the other.

Last edited:

HotConductor

The Knopp did it's job, the conductors were burned up in the conduit. The conduit was full of water too. The conductors were isolated at both ends during tests. The conduit was pvc.

I don't understand, though, why the insulation tester didn't show this.

Should I have tested them each with the egc?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We quite often can locate a fault because the pvc is usually cracked very close to the damaged area. (Buried pvc with insulated EG) Really no reason you should not be able to meg the wires to prove pass/fail. Make sure you are using it correctly. Have the leads in the correct jacks, been there, practice on something else. Maybe move your left foot to the West a bit?:)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
You need to isolate all the wires in the conduit at both ends. Then test EVERY wire against EVERY other wire in the conduit.

If they're nicked/rubbed through in a dry spot in the conduit your megger may not show it. I usually have the opposite problem though, the wires/peckerhead are wet and the test fails. Then I dry the ends with a heatgun and they test great.

You can accidentally condemn a lot of wire and equipment if you're not paying attention.

HotConductor

Would it ever make sense in a case like this to drive a short piece of ground rod and test each conductor against that?

Is it safe to say that insulation testing underground conductors is useful but not always 100% conclusive.

cadpoint

Frankly I thought your number was low as posted! (maybe I'm lost on that thought) Having said that, I don't recall drying the wires, from the Meggar (book) but that seperation is required for safety during testing. Frankly drying sounds like cheating,,, I've seen water dribble out of wires...

It's not that water is conductive (pure water) it's the particles that's in the water that makes water conductive.

Status
Not open for further replies.