What am I doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainwireman

I got into an argument with a QC. The craftsman was running the wire from an explosion proof disconnect to building structural steel. I say he was grounding the case. The QC said I was wrong and he was bonding the case. What do you think?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I got into an argument with a QC. The craftsman was running the wire from an explosion proof disconnect to building structural steel. I say he was grounding the case. The QC said I was wrong and he was bonding the case. What do you think?

QC? Quality Control?
Based on your description, I would say this is bonding.

captainwireman

Yes, Quality control. Looking at the def in the NEC, I still stand by my statement. Is not one purpose of bonding to facilitate the operation of the over current device? Is not the general purpose of grounding to bleed transient voltages and lightning protection, among others?

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Yes, Quality control. Looking at the def in the NEC, I still stand by my statement. Is not one purpose of bonding to facilitate the operation of the over current device? Is not the general purpose of grounding to bleed transient voltages and lightning protection, among others?

A lot of myths here.

Connecting the enclosure is not the way you make sure the over current device works. The fault current path is REQUIRED by code to be run with the circuit conductors. You cannot use the steel structure as the fault current path. As a practical matter it might be a small part of the fault current path, but it cannot be relied upon as the fault current path.

The purpose of grounding (connecting to earth) is found in article 250.4.

Electrical systems that
are grounded shall be connected to earth in a manner that
will limit the voltage imposed by lightning, line surges, or
unintentional contact with higher-voltage lines and that will
stabilize the voltage to earth during normal operation.

Grounding of Electrical Equipment. Normally non?
current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electrical
conductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment,
shall be connected to earth so as to limit the voltage
to ground on these materials.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am not sure that there is any name for the conductor in question as it is not part of a code rule...that is it is not required. In my opinion, that would be a bonding conductor of some type.

iwire

Staff member

If this is a problem worth your time you have a very cushy job. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.