What are the risks of overvoltage on the circuit between a pair of single phase transformers?

NWinter

Occupation
Electrician
If I have a 240-volt to 600-volt step-up transformer connected to a 600-volt to 120/240-volt step-down transformer, what are the downsides of not grounding one of the 600-volt wires to create a grounded conductor, and just letting the 600-volt side float?

Having an ungrounded circuit is supposed to offer some safety advantages in reducing shock risk if someone comes into contact with a single wire. However, ungrounded circuits are also susceptible to overvoltage conditions. Most of the information I’ve seen about overvoltage relates to ungrounded industrial three-phase systems, but how realistic are overvoltage conditions on a single-phase pair of transformers if the wire pair between them is left floating?

I understand that I would likely have to use ground fault detection if I choose to leave the 600-volt part of the circuit floating.

At the moment, I have one of the wires from the 600-volt side of the step-up transformer bonded as the grounded conductor.

I say the big advantage of grounding the system is that you only need two total conductors if you use that exception which it seems you are. I personally wouldn't be concerned with an over voltage situation if it were ungrounded, it is extremely unlikely.