What do I need to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueheels2

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I've got a service call for a customer tomorrow. He wants me to inspect his system for startup and link it to his smartphone. He has a Outback OFF GRID SYSTEM 7.3 KW. Components are :

seraphim 305 watt panels
Outback Flexware PV12 Combiner box
20 amp breakers to go with it
Dual VFXR3648A 7.2 KW FLEXPOWER TWO PREWIRED SYSTEM
Solar surge protection device
He doesn't list the batteries he's bought but he does list the cables to connect them

I don't know what he is powering with this or why he would want an off grid system . Also I have done tons of utility size systems but only a couple of residential systems. Any advice lessons learned etc.?

paulengr

Look for NRTL stickers. Most of this stuff isn’t Listed. Off grid or not NEC is state law in all 50 states. Inspect according to basic construction principles and Listing and that should condemn it entirely. Pay particular attention to “CE”. If you see that one there MUST be another mark. CE is illegal in all 50 states.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Look for NRTL stickers. Most of this stuff isn’t Listed. Off grid or not NEC is state law in all 50 states. Inspect according to basic construction principles and Listing and that should condemn it entirely. Pay particular attention to “CE”. If you see that one there MUST be another mark. CE is illegal in all 50 states.

All of the equipment he mentioned by model or brand is listed. And I daresay that if you were at all familiar with solar components, you'd know that about Outback products without looking it up. In fact, it's probably not true that 'most' solar equipment isn't listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.