What do you do with coiled neutral wire on GFCI or AFCI breaker installation in panels? Cut to length or leave "coil"

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
Just wondering what the pro consensus is on dealing with coiled neutral wire from GCI and AFCI breakers in panels.
Cut to length, shorten a bit, leave coiled as is?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'm with Larry cut off the excess. For one it looks sloppy to leave it and two it takes up space. Same reason why I dispise the Mickey Mouse ears in a panel.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm with Larry cut off the excess. For one it looks sloppy to leave it and two it takes up space. Same reason why I dispise the Mickey Mouse ears in a panel.
Reasons to use plug on neutral type when possible.

Square D also has extra long AFCI/GFCI breakers that take away from wiring space

acin

Occupation
general building contractor est.1984 . C 10 elec. lic.as of 8 / 7/ 2020
Larry can you explain the micky mouse ear thing . im still learning thanks

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
SN2040L1125 Plug On Neutral Ready. Unless he was trying to get rid of his stock of pig-tails it’s odd to choose them here as there’s no shortage of the plug on neutral CAFCI’s or Dual's as far as I know (?)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The other place you will see a coiled neutral is on some Surge Protection Devices (SPDs). Ones that do not mount to the breaker bus directly can have both hot and neutral wires. For and SPD to do the best job of protection against high frequency surges (often the most damaging) these wires need to be both straight and as short as possible. Also avoid sharp bends when dressing these wires.

Larry can you explain the micky mouse ear thing . im still learning thanks

IMO there are times to do the Mickey mouse thing.
1. Where conditions such as size of the wire and/or a poor amount of working space to the lugs make it much easier to make a loop

2. Outdoor panels with a feed coming from underground. IMO it is a bad idea to bring the conductors straight into the lugs with no play. If settling or heaving occurs you want slack and the expansion coupling to work in concert with conductor play.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
At one time was told you can't shorten the pigtail. But now see the mfg. of at least one AFCI breaker says it can be shortened.