What do you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
My aunt (recently Widowed) called me after the recent ice storm.She and my uncle had purchased my Grandfathers old house that was built back in the
early 1900's. My uncle was a do it yourselfer who had tried to do his own electrical work. This is an old Farmhouse out in the country. He had tapped off and put a 2p Nema 1 fused disconnect outside on the front porch,ran a piece of 10/3 nm indoor romex around the outside of the 2 story house installed a 4/0 octagonal box outside with a taped lid,penetrated the outside wall and went into the house to feed a receptacle for an air conditioning unit.
He then continued on the outside of the house outside to the west end went up high to another 4/0 octagonal box under the eave.From there he stretched a cable from the rafter to an old oak tree about 30 yard from the
house and installed a screw in insulator then another 50 yard to his outbuilding. He then taped 3 individual well pump wires to the cabel to feed his outbuilding. At the out building the single strand converts over to 12/2 romexes where he had just stripped the isulation back and twisted the wires and taped the connections together with no junction boxes. Bless his heart I know he felt he had made a great acomplishment by doing all of this work,but my aunt was woried that the limbs that had recently fell during the ice storm had damaged the overhead cable. I shut the disconnect off at the front porch unable to explain to her the amount of code violations that my Uncle had perfomed during this installation. She was worried that her battery on her car in the garage would go dead because the Trickle charger would have no power and was almost offended that I shut it off. What do you do when people are used to something working for years but do not have the money to fix it up right. I feel bad for shutting the service off to the garage but would feel worse if someone was to get hurt.

M. D.

Yikes!!! I would have taken advantage of the fact that she suspected damage and told her the damage was beyond repair .. it would need replacing.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
we all have family :D

In most cases like this you end up being the good samartian.
In any event, don't go into it expecting to be paid. :)

That said, I used to get a lot of work from another contractor who had a "no family" policy and referred me to them.

neutral

My aunt (recently Widowed) called me after the recent ice storm.She and my uncle had purchased my Grandfathers old house that was built back in the
early 1900's. My uncle was a do it yourselfer who had tried to do his own electrical work. This is an old Farmhouse out in the country. He had tapped off and put a 2p Nema 1 fused disconnect outside on the front porch,ran a piece of 10/3 nm indoor romex around the outside of the 2 story house installed a 4/0 octagonal box outside with a taped lid,penetrated the outside wall and went into the house to feed a receptacle for an air conditioning unit.
He then continued on the outside of the house outside to the west end went up high to another 4/0 octagonal box under the eave.From there he stretched a cable from the rafter to an old oak tree about 30 yard from the
house and installed a screw in insulator then another 50 yard to his outbuilding. He then taped 3 individual well pump wires to the cabel to feed his outbuilding. At the out building the single strand converts over to 12/2 romexes where he had just stripped the isulation back and twisted the wires and taped the connections together with no junction boxes. Bless his heart I know he felt he had made a great acomplishment by doing all of this work,but my aunt was woried that the limbs that had recently fell during the ice storm had damaged the overhead cable. I shut the disconnect off at the front porch unable to explain to her the amount of code violations that my Uncle had perfomed during this installation. She was worried that her battery on her car in the garage would go dead because the Trickle charger would have no power and was almost offended that I shut it off. What do you do when people are used to something working for years but do not have the money to fix it up right. I feel bad for shutting the service off to the garage but would feel worse if someone was to get hurt.

Do the job no charge thats what friends and family are for. She might just repay the favor. what goes around comes around. I have never charged a friend or family member a penny for any work i've done.

Buck Parrish

It probably worked fine for years with that 30 amp screw in fuse in the fuse box.
I would say since you have all ready went there. I would fix it. At least run a drop cord to the trickle charger.:wink:
In the future if you don't want to do work for family. Tell them you are doing mostly commercial work now.
Tell her to check that the smoke detectors are working, too.

jumper

we all have family :D

In most cases like this you end up being the good samartian.
In any event, don't go into it expecting to be paid. :)

That said, I used to get a lot of work from another contractor who had a "no family" policy and referred me to them.

yup.;) you are going to end up fixing it sooner or later, might as well " git er done":grin:

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Looks like you fell into the family and friends trap. Since you shut your aunt down, she'll be hoping you'll help her. You should! Tell her this and that got damaged by the ice storm but you'll fix it if she buys the materials.

There is a fine line between family and friends needing help and using you. This sound like she needs help and what comes around, goes around

ArcNSpark

I have one cousin who is fairly well-off. He lives out on Cape Cod, MA, and owns a rental property in RI, where I live. He called me on a Wednesday at the end of last summer and said he needed some work done, and it had to be done before Saturday. Turned out to be 7 hours and $300 in materials alone.

Needless to say, I charged him for both time and material. He's using that house to make money for himself, and I feel totally justified in charging him.

Other than that, I work for beer or return favors when it comes to family and close friends.

RICK NAPIER

My father had a great saying when people told them that they never had a problem before with an unsafe condition. He simply said "That may be so but there are people dying today that never died before."

ArcNSpark

My uncle owned a dairy farm in Vermont. I would visit in the 50's. All farmers did their own wireing. You should have seen it!!!!!

I actually have seen some "farmer-style" wiring at my Dad's in rural Tennessee. For the shed, the previous owner ran a piece of 10-2 Romex from the house, through the trees, to the shed 200 feet away. Used two large eye hooks as POA's, and the wire fed a four-slot panel. Used the ground wire as a neutral. Made inline splices midair, including the bare copper neutral wire-nutted together with 3 inches of copper exposed.

Not a GFI in the place.

Can't run the oven and dryer at the same time, because a piece of 8-3 drops into the open crawl space below the house, then splices off to each appliance.

Most practically of all, there's a 40A range receptacle on the back porch to be used for backfeeding the main panel in times of power outages.

Status
Not open for further replies.