What do you think about Devry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khixxx

What is everyones thoughts on Devry? It is ABET listed. Has anyone hired an engineer from Devry? How are they working out compared a 4 year university. www.devry.edu I was looking at their Electronic Engineering Technology Degree.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
It is strictly electronics, and in the engineering world it is treated as a tech type degree, despite what they may call it. Nor will you get the same education. If you are interested in becoming a PE and the dgree qualifies you (better check), the EIT/FE test must be taken first. Without the other lower division courses such as chemistry, mechanics, physics etc, I doubt you would ever pass the EIT/FE.

As you state, it is a technology degree, it is NOT and engineering degree.

Remember, if it seems like it's to good to be true, it usually is.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have known, and worked with, a few graduates of the Devry BSEET program. They were good workers, well trained in the basics, and highly motivated to succeed. I think Devry gave them a good start on their careers.

My only suggestion is that, before you commit to a program, you learn and fully understand the difference between a BSEET degree and a BSEE degree. Both are valuable, but they are not interchangeable. Pick the one that better suits your intended career path.

khixxx

Thanks guys for the fast response. I am currently unemployed 27 and looking to jump start my career with a change. 7 years in the field plus an AST degree and a state master license. I like working with my hands. I'm one of those guys that would rather pack my tools up and go home and not get paid if there is nothing going on (job is at a stand still). I would like to go full time but at 27 that is a huge chunk of money plus not working would really kill me. I was hoping to go part time. I currently can make $45,000-$55,000 as an electrician Most engineer positions are around the $60,000 mark I know some that make more. Just wondering if it will be worth it. Devry seems to have a nice program that could fit my schedule. and they offer a BSEET in 3 years if you go year round but the school is very pricey $6,100 a term with 9 terms thats close to a private school tuition. I just sold my house and made $150,000 so that money is sitting in the bank so I highly doubt I would get any financial assistance. I won't mind using that money but I do have to buy another house. Well any input will be nice. what does an engineer make on the average?

bhsrnd

I personnally took a couple evening courses at DeVry several years ago and found it to be a waste of my time and money. That was just my experience. I recommend checking with your local community college and see what they have to offer. Reason being is I found that many courses taken at DeVry, ATI and these other "trade type" schools DO NOT transfer to state or private colleges/universities. That was the case with the two lower-level DeVry classes I took. I had to retake them again later on.

Not only that, but courses are generally MUCH cheaper.

RHaggie

ABET really only means that they have graduated someone from thier program.

I second the community college route. You already are qualified in a trade that pays you well now. A trade degree will only duplicate what you have already accomplished in the real world. You probably already have some credits from the AST that will transfer.
By taking the community college route-and then on to an undergraduate program- you gain the basics that the real world does not teach you (but expects from you) when pulling down top wages. DeVry will get you a job that pays well but not provide you with a broader education that will benifit you later on.Three years is a long time going year round and that time might be better spent preparing yourself for the future.

But, figuring out what you want to be doing in 25 years will tell you which way to go today. Ladders start being a chore as you get older and the body aches but you could be stuck because the money is hard to give up. Good luck.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Have you considered the University of Illinois at Chicago? In-state tuition is reasonable, and they have night programs. I received an MS-EE degree from the Illinois Institute of Technology, entirely based on night classes. But IIT is more expensive that either UI or Devry.

Bob NH

Some employers have programs that pay for tuition for courses that are related to employment, especially if those courses are leading to a degree. They usually pay after you pass the course with a C or better.

Some schools, such as Northeastern here in the Boston area, have night courses, including at suburban campuses, that are directed to part-time students.

Those companies usually need a lot of technical support staff as well, so there are probably positions for which you would qualify. You could screen job opportunities on that basis.

That policy is often in place in companies that have a lot of engineers with degrees, and is one of the things that attract the professional staff that they need. However, they can't discriminate so those who are not already engineers are also eligible for the benefit.

My experience was in the defense industry and the pay was pretty good for both engineering graduates and technical support staff. A guy that is really good at getting things done well and quickly is highly valued by the engineers who want him on their projects.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
First of all, I think all the answers given so far are very good. I also worked with a Devry Grad. I think Devry has a good reputation, but it is a technical school. Any technical type classes (technical school, or community college)are NOT going to transfer to an engineering type degree.

I also agree that you may just be duplicating what you have already learned. And I'm not really sure you will make more money with a Devry degree. (But I can't say I know either for sure).

If you are considering engineering, you might want to consider starting at a community college. (Go to one that has a transfer program set up with a 4 year college so you won't take classes that don't transfer.) Engineering is very different than the technical trades. Many postitions aren't very hands on. And the classes are from a very different prespective. So if you start at a community college and decide you don't like it, you haven't spent as much money and time on tuition and relocating.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
khixxx said:
what does an engineer make on the average?

Technicians( non-degreed designers with AutoCad/Microstation capability) will reach a ceiling of about $60,000 /year. An engineer (PE) will cap out at over $100,000 per year. This is of course based on knowledge and years of experience, and industry. A/E firms do not pay as much as E/A firms, and power industry pays the most. An engineer without a PE will never make much more then a good technician.

One avenue is to work as little as possible to get by, and at the same time go to a good Junior College and take as many classes as possible, until you get an AA degree. Making sure that the classes are transferable. Most universities will take you if you have an AA from a junior college, and the AA will satisfy the general Ed at the university. But check with the local university(s) yourself about the transferability, DO NOT trust the guidance counselors. This is your career, take charge of it. Once you are at the university level, you can continue to work (hopefully less) and study. But it will give you flexibility to get the right classes, and finish in the shortest amount of time. The lastyear for sure, and maybe even last 1.5 years it will be tough to finish unless you go full time, so put that in your plan.

Good Luck. It can be done, I did it. I was in your shoes but 29 when I started back to school.

Bob NH

kingpb said:
An engineer without a PE will never make much more then a good technician.
There are a lot of jobs in product-related industries where a PE doesn't make any difference. My PE made no difference in the defense industry, which is a fairly well-compensated field. You don't need a PE seal on a drawing for a missile or a cluster bomb.

A PE is essential if you are responsible for engineering that affects the public safety, health, and welfare. Intel and IBM don't care if you have a PE for most jobs.

khixxx

kingpb said:
Good Luck. It can be done, I did it. I was in your shoes but 29 when I started back to school.
Thanks That what I needed to hear. The BSEE seems the best way to go with a university. I am not that good at school work well in high school that is. I graduated with a 3.5 When I got my AST degree. No doubt this will be hard. and being unemployed really doesn't help that much. I guess I need to start planning this out.

bhsrnd

Bob NH said:
There are a lot of jobs in product-related industries where a PE doesn't make any difference. My PE made no difference in the defense industry, which is a fairly well-compensated field. You don't need a PE seal on a drawing for a missile or a cluster bomb.

A PE is essential if you are responsible for engineering that affects the public safety, health, and welfare. Intel and IBM don't care if you have a PE for most jobs.

I'm sure glad to know that missles and cluster bombs don't affect public safety, health and welfare :grin: LOL

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
I'm leary of the commercial technical schools -- ITT, Devry's, etc. My ex had an AA degree from ITT and it was, let's just say, useless. Either you already have the experience and just need the sheepskin, or you don't and 2 years in a classroom isn't going to give it to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.