What does this mean to you?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A set of design requirements includes the following text: "Outlets. The use of sealed or flush fittings is required; additional requirements as needed to create a 'spark-proof/resistant" outlet."

It relates to rooms in a parachute rigging facility, and specifically to the room in whick oxygen bottles are stored and the room where maintenance is conducted on oxygen masks (i.e., for high altitude drops).

A consulting engineering firm is saying that these rooms are Class 1, Division 1, and the quoted text appears to be their only basis. I think that that is nonsense.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I'd say your correct Oxygen is a not a 'flammable gas', but it is fertilizer for fire and should be taken into consideration.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I'd say your correct Oxygen is a not a 'flammable gas', but it is fertilizer for fire and should be taken into consideration.
As in the Apollo 1 cabin fire in 1967 that killed Ed White, Gus Grissom, and Roger Chaffee.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As a result of that fire, they stopped using 100% oxygen for breathing air and they did everything possible to remove combustible materials from the spacecraft.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
As a result of that fire, they stopped using 100% oxygen for breathing air and they did everything possible to remove combustible materials from the spacecraft.
Yes, but I am pretty sure that EVA suit breathing is still 100% O2 at low pressure, so going EVA requires a period of time breathing pure O2 ahead of time to avoid decompression sickness due to N2 in the blood.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It definitely isn’t Class I; that is, the “fuel” isn’t a flammable gas, vapor, or liquid. [Section 500.5(B)] Even if it were, their description of an “outlet” wouldn’t necessarily meet the requirement of Section 501.145 if they just meant “receptacles” or more generally Section 501.10(A)(4).