WHAT GOOD IS THIS FORUM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

I have been in this industry more than 25 years. I have been coming to this site more than 2 years. I take many code classes and seminars.
I spend a lot of time studying in the different aspects of the industry.

Whats the point?

I feel like I am pretty good at what I do, yet as an inspector I come across installations that I have not experienced before, or really know very little about.
So what I have done is reach out to some people I have met on this site.

A recent example was an installation of an MRI unit in a new hospital that looked suspect to me. I approached the contractor and he told me this is how the MRI company required the installation. I still was not convinced, so I contacted Roger from this site.
His experience and knowledge helped me look like a hero :D

THANKS TO ALL HERE WHO HAVE HELPED ME, EVEN IF YOU DID NOT KNOW YOU WERE HELPING ME BECOME BETTER AT WHAT I DO!!!
Pierre

charlie

Re: WHAT GOOD IS THIS FORUM?

Pierre, I don't know if I have ever helped or not but you are most certainly welcome. We all try to help and someone (normally a lot of some ones) will enter into the discussion to help clear up misconceptions, give answers, throw in a bit of humor, and party. We all like to learn and it is normally fun to learn here.

I would like to say thank you as well, you have not been a lurker. You have added a lot to the understanding of the group. Thank you. :D

iblittljn

I just joined yesterday to solicit information about using conduit. I got flamed, roasted and harassed. A bad showing for the first day.

But couple of posts were useful.

One of the things I think I will learn is that I will be forced to do reseach. Many people speak about the way things are done and as those opinions are promulgated, they become defacto standards or directives, though they may have no solid basis in fact. As an engineer, I must base my decisions on fact and not fiction. I made a post after moderator Charlie outling what I found out about 300.3b. Wonder if I will get flamed about that.

Another problem I think I will have is I don't have much on-the-ground experience. I have decided to take electrician courses to learn all I can about working in the trenches. My first day's interaction convinced me to do that. Sizing wire may be easy but installing it may not be.

The other thing I will learn is trying to sort out who really knows their stuff (based in fact) and who is all fluff. That will be the hard part. But that is life!

A concept of "that's the way it has always been done" may not always be the best or only way.

This forum will at least cause me to think about the whole area of electrical engineering and electrical installations.

Ian

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by iblittljn:
I just joined yesterday to solicit information about using conduit. I got flamed, roasted and harassed. A bad showing for the first day.
And I missed it? :)

The other thing I will learn is trying to sort out who really knows their stuff (based in fact) and who is all fluff. That will be the hard part. But that is life!
The key is, when something smells or is new, whip open the NEC to the section being discussed. If you read it a different way, even if you think you could be wrong, post your opinion and get it out there for debate.

There's fellas here way smarter than I am, equally smart as each other, who can read one section and come up with two directly opposing views of what it says. The fun is arguing to who's right and why. Hold everyone accountable for what they say. :)

I'd encourage you to use phrases like "I think" and "in my opinion (IMO)" when you're not absolutely sure about something. That clues us in that you're not sure it's a fact, and you're open to hearing a different take on a given item. :)

paul32

Originally posted by georgestolz:
And I missed it? :D

George, you posted in that thread. You posted but didn't read it? ;)

jwelectric

Haven?t we all learned something in this forum as well as other forums on the web.

I find that the more eager we are to learn the more we can learn. I have also learned that when reading in a forum such as this one, take nothing posted as being true, instead look up the article, section and sub section and study them for yourself. This has helped me to become more familiar with the code itself.

Another thing I have learned by reading these forums, some which have been closed such as Dave?s and Joe?s two of the best in my opinion, is that some people will post an opinion and fight to the end with no code to back up their stand.

Yes, I too would like to thank those who have helped me with my understanding of the code both those who agree and those who disagree. Those who disagree with me about a subject will force me to do more research in the matter there by giving me a much deeper understanding of the subject.

Mr. iblittljn welcome to the forum. I saw how you were being bashed and did feel bad for you. Some in here have this mentality but this is found in all walks of life. Hang in there it does get better.
:)

physis

Lots of good, that what good this forum is. :cool:

[ August 17, 2005, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

69boss302

I believe some refer to it as character building :D

There are an awful lot of characters on here let me tell you :D :D :D ;)

charlie k.

Pierre, this site is a great source for information. Several years ago I had some questions and posted them here. The answers were very professional and I just printed it out and submitted it to the inspector. Problem solved. There is a lot of talent here. One thing I tell the apprentices is no one knows it all.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Hey. If it were not for this Forum, all I would be doing all day is playing Tetris. :D

sceepe

Unfortunatly there is very little opportunity to consult with peers about solutions to the problems we encouter everyday. That is the beauty of this site. There are often many ways to solve a problem. It is rare to get a chance to see how others do it. It makes you a better engineer, contractor, inspector etc.

One of the best things I have learned here is that depending on what part of this buisness you are in, you can see a problem very differently. It can help give you a broader perspective.

If you really want a treat, search for some old posts by "Bennie". He use to make everyone rethink what they thought they knew about the code.

As for getting bashed on your first time, the folks on this forum are very leary of arming someone with just enough knowledge to be dangerous. Anyone can register so you never know who your talking with. Thats why you need to always do your homework first. Come up with a solution and let the forum review it. If you ask a "how to" question, you are going to take a lot of heat.

Good luck.

I made my first post here this week and was treated kindly, only one person asked about my credentials, which I answered. I live in Toledo Ohio and have a state license in HVAC, Electrical,Plumbing and Hydronics. I took the state test for HVAC and Hydronics and was grandfathered in for electrical and plumbing due to some local licenses I had previously obtained.

I do not fashion myself to be a "real" electrician but have learned to do residential retrofit work and to do it properly. My cpmpany does about 1 million a year with about 10% of that electrical and non union. (I'm not dissing unions").

I still probably don't always use the right jargon at times but am always open to learn, in fact I just learned something today on an electrical inspection that passed by the way.

Sometimes I feel because of the way I came into the business I'm actually held to a higher standard, so I've learned alot of valuable lessons the hard way by having to re-do things the inspector "didn't like".

I take on no commercial work and refer that to another electrician. My point is that not everyone is at the same level, know one knows everything and it's good to be able to come someplace and ask for advice.

I appreciate the help I was given, actually I really just wanted confirmation of what I believed to be correct.

I usually hang out at http://www.hvac-talk.com/vbb/ it may ask you to register. Thanks to all that responded, I appreciate your understanding.

Terry

iblittljn

Good comments but what scares me is that several have said there is no real answer. And that is OK and scary at the same time. Except that for example if a design is implemented and an inspector ( as seen in a few threads) requires more than the code requires (practicing engineering w/o a license??) and fails the installation because of it, nasty things can happen. I read a post where some electricians were drilling holes into structural steel columns of a building to pull wires thru. Pole consensus was that's OK. Not sure if the electricians were structural engineers but my guess is the engineer of record should have been consulted. Lets see- a 2" hole through the tension side of a 6" column. Hmm wonder what that might do.

What I really find useful is where respondents supply chapter and verse about the issue and then discuss it. Those are the ones I look for. Opinions are like noses - everyone has one.

Good stuff though!

GG

I owe alot of gratitude to Mike Holt for many things. First for this web site which is truly one of a kind, and second for the DVD's and books he produces. Mr Holts estimating package has given me tremendous confidence whenever I give someone a price over the phone or go bid a job. His grounding/bonding DVD finally made me realize where the heck to use bonding bushings, and taught me so much more. I would even go as far to say if it were not for Mike Holt I may have been out of business years ago. I just could not grasp the NEC until I started reading Mikes NEC books. Thanks Mr. Holt.

sceepe

GG, you bucking to be a moderator? :D

Personally, I am waiting on Mike Holt to put out some of the other books he has been working on:

"Women, Lighting, and other truely random events."

or

"Grinding vs. Bonding; and other marital problems."

Maybe you guys have heard of some others in the works

[ August 18, 2005, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: sceepe ]

69boss302

Opinions are like noses - everyone has one.
I've always heard it different. Opinions are like ***holes, everybody has one, and everybody else's stinks.

sandsnow

Originally posted by charlie b:
Hey. If it were not for this Forum, all I would be doing all day is playing Tetris. :D
well, that's better than playing solitaire. :D

I would say this forum has given me humility and hope.
There are everyday electricians and inspectors with a greater understanding of the code than myself.
Being an inspector for one city, I see the same guys and the same lack of code knowledge, which to me is the backbone of our trade.
You guys - inspectors and electricians - who know the code, give me hope that everyone can learn the code. Not be an expert, but just a working knowledge.
I recommend this place to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.