What Happened Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick

Can anyone guess what happened to this conduit?
3-3-03%20008.jpg

3-3-03%20009.jpg

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: What Happened Here?

The first picture appears to be a 1/2 inch EMT that pushed out the 3/4 KO in a panel when pulling wire.

I don't understand the second picture, I must be missing something.

txsparky

The second picture is of the same conduit that pulled through a KO that was too large. (during installation of the wire). The conduit appears to be 1-1/4" instead of 1/2".

gwz2

Appears to be larger than a 1/2" EMT.

I don't see the concentric or eccentric ring on the connector.

Must have been a rather tough pull to bend the EMT at both supports.

Nick

This is actually 2" EMT that was in place and functioning fine for over 20 years. The building is being remodeled and this is how I found it. It turns out the demo crew got a little over zealous when it came to demoing electrical feeders. This entire rack is feeds to the AC units on the roof. They somehow did this damage while trying to pull out the copper. If you look at the second picture the conduit next to the one that is pulled through only has one conductor left in it.

The first picture shows the conduit literally creased at the strut. The second shows where they pulled the connector right through the top of the gear. All this was done while the 480V 3000A board was energized of course. The demo contractor has to pay to make this and many other areas right again. He hired his own electrical sub who showed up for three days and hasn't been back for a month. Eventually the repair will get thrown to us and the demo contractor back charged for our cost.

pwhite

i saw the same reaction on a 3 story industrial elevator. a pipe clamp came loose and when the elevator went to the basement, the pipe hung on it and pulled the conduit until the wiring broke loose. it was a mess to try and repair.

iwire

Staff member

I have seen a couple of similar events.

1)A coworker (lazy incompetent SOB) incorrectly set up a Greenlee Ultra puller and pulled a 4" EMT out of a minni through two strut clamps and down through the top of the panel tub.

2)Excavator dug up a 100 amp feed outside a building, the pipe inside stayed put but the 100 amp breaker was ripped apart and the neutral bar was bent into a "U"

Status
Not open for further replies.