WHAT HAPPENS HERE STAYS HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierre

What I mean by the topic heading is sort of like the Las Vegas commercials. :D

One of the reasons I post here is to hear the feedback. I have some ideas that I am weak in and will post my thoughts looking for the feedback. Whether the feedback is positive or not is not important, but what I learn is. As when I make a mistake in my thoughts and find out here, then that mistake will not be carried out in the REAL WORLD - my classes. :D

jwelectric

Re: WHAT HAPPENS HERE STAYS HERE

Embarrassing moments in the class room can be humiliating to say the least.

More important is how we handle this in the class room. Do we humble our selves and admit out mistake or do we try to hide it?

Arrogance is the instructor?s worst enemy. I am not saying to be submissive to a disagreement but be sure that your facts are right. Also be humble and eager to admit to a mistake. This does not show a weakness but shows strength.

I have learned that this makes me a better teacher. It has the reward of showing the student that no one knows it all and we are all susceptible to error.
:)

B

bthielen

I am not an instructor although I have had to do my share of instructing or sharing what I have learned with coworkers and others. Consider this, what does it say about an instructor that has taught a student well enough that he/she identifies a mistake made by the instructor? To me this would be a compliment to the instructor. If one thing can be learned from this website it is that electricity and the codes are not written in stone and no one individual knows it all. What was once considered truth sometimes is found to be not so black and white.

Bob

allenwayne

32 years in trade and I learn ALLOT from this forum and from out in the field every single day I learn somrthing even the smallest bit info shows me that no one person knows it all.
We might know alot but each and every day something new crops up :D .
because between all of us we as a combo still don`t know everything,just some know more than others in thier field commercial to residential to industrial to high tech ;)

iwire

Staff member

Well I have certainly felt the 'sting' of learning what I thought to be a fact was in fact not a fact. :eek:

But to learn it here on the forum can only be a cost to my pride.

If I make the same mistake in the field it can have real implications, from inconvenience to money and without a doubt even safety.

I appreciate all that I have learned here.

volt101

I try to make it a habit to log on to this site at least once a day and read the posts, I have done complete 180's before in this forum, it keeps me on my toes. Teaching at night also does the same, the students can put you "on the spot". Sometimes posting a question that I thought I already knew the answer to, responses have shown me the other side of the fence, while some of the responses have just plain ole' put me on the fence. Just need to hear all the arguments, it paints a big clear picture for me.

luckyshadow

Thats whats great about this site. You can learn or at least be reminded of things long forgotten.
This site along with 2 others helped me study for my masters. So thank you , and keep up the good work

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

We should never be afraid or embarrassed to eat a little crow here. After all, it is a discussion group and each of us can't always be 100% correct about every topic we discuss. If we were, we wouldn't need to discuss it. I, for one, have eaten my fair share of crow because I often don't think "out of the box" and it's good to see others are awake and pick up on my errors.

I'm not trying to patronize anyone, but I for one am grateful that we have a forum such as this (specific to our trade) where we can share ideas, discuss situations or merely get interpretations on the NEC. I also enjoy the comradery and discussions with subscribers in other parts of the country. That's my 2 cents worth !!!

electricmanscott

Originally posted by georgestolz:
That's good news, because I have no idea what I'll do with the dead hooker in the trunk. :D
George, we should talk. :D

[ June 27, 2005, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

highkvoltage

Pierre. I have printed all of your post and for a bag of money will burn them and send you the ashes. Send a personal message so I can forward you the bank account number to deposit the money in. If not I will print them in your local paper. (Please forward address I don't know where you live so this would be a big help.) Hey what I say business is slow.

straps

Crow is a lot cheaper than hurting someone. Do I Get A Amen From The Balcony?

This forum for me is a god send and Mike Holt you are one of the very best people in the real world.

Many many many thanks to all. :cool: :cool: :cool:

69boss302

I'll through in an AMEN! but I wondered of to the peanut gallery, I'm not hanging around on the Balcony anymore :D

Status
Not open for further replies.