what i learned "T" fittings and solid wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm with everyone else on solid wire above #12 or maybe #10. Also, mixed feelings on pulling in conduit vs terminating under screws.

What I would like to know is how you put stranded wire in an Ideal push-in or Wago connector. There specs list the allowed wire sizes in both solid and stranded.
I used to "tin" the wires in control circuits to use on "wago" type connectors. These connectors were French made and were around long before Ideal's or Wagos.
I thought about tinning for these connectors (Wagos/Ideal) until someone pointed out the risk for corrosion, although I've seen tinned wires that I did that were at least 15 yrs old with no corrosion.

Don't mean to derail the thread, but it is solid/stranded connected,:) no pun intended!

use a good pair of needle nose pliers, strip 1/2" of the insulation, grab the wire right at the end
of the insulation, and shove it into the wago. once you get the hang of it, it works fine.
i only use wirenuts when a wago won't work, like finely stranded wire.... i've been using
nothing but wagos and stranded wire for about 3 years now, and have yet to have one go
south.

iwire

Staff member
I like solid. I keep some of each in the truck, some of our accounts specify it.

For a while they tried selling stranded MC around here, it did not go over well and now it's all solid MC again.

PetrosA

I like both - especially when you work for a company that won't buy all the spools you need to make pulls at once. Then you can walk out your solids and keep the stranded on the spools, where they belong. Worst is when you have to walk out stranded and figure out how to keep it from bouncing back in to a nightmare. ;)

If I'm terminating stranded to devices, I crimp ends on. I've wrapped it around the screws before, but I don't like it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We lay out stranded conductors on the floor quite often. All you need to do is simply put a few turns of tape about every 8'. Just take it off before it goes into the pipe.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I like solid. I keep some of each in the truck, some of our accounts specify it.

For a while they tried selling stranded MC around here, it did not go over well and now it's all solid MC again.

I'm with you on the solid. It's funny how people are different, I don't ever remember using stranded, ever, while I was in the field. I worked with it, but never installed it.

kwired

Electron manager
and a quarter the resistance to pulling it in the pipe.

I just don't find that to be true.

It may not be much different, but when working as a 1 man crew, stranded will pull in in many places where solid will not, without a helper.

I like both - especially when you work for a company that won't buy all the spools you need to make pulls at once. Then you can walk out your solids and keep the stranded on the spools, where they belong. Worst is when you have to walk out stranded and figure out how to keep it from bouncing back in to a nightmare. ;)

If I'm terminating stranded to devices, I crimp ends on. I've wrapped it around the screws before, but I don't like it.

I have some advice, but your company will likely not go for this advice either. If you use 2500 foot spools and are laying out conductors on the ground, they do not try to "bounce back" nearly as bad as conductors that came from a 500 foot spool. They are a little worse as you get near the end of the reel, but 500 foot reels are hard to deal with even short lengths as they try to coil back up pretty severely.

220/221

We lay out stranded conductors on the floor quite often. All you need to do is simply put a few turns of tape about every 8'. Just take it off before it goes into the pipe.

So.......you are the guy that has been doing that.

I hate following behind you and trying to add a circuit by using an existing wire as a pull. :lol:

And earlier, I meant solid 10 was silly.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.