What is a useful format for the NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

iblittljn

I would be interested to hear recommendations on useful formats for the NEC.

It is big and thick. Seems each paragrap/article references another which reference still another.

Does anyone make an .html version? Are there tabbed loose leaf formats? Do electricians care the big books to the job site?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: What is a useful format for the NEC

It is big and thick
Then you should get the handbook :D (I'm being sarcastic, the handbook is about 3 times the size of the NEC).

They do make an version on CD, and there are also looseleaf versions. Back in 1996, they made a handy "pocket size" book, but for some reason they quit making that.

Steve

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I'm working in the arena of marine engineering these days. We don't use the NEC. But one of the "rule books" that we do use gets revised every few years. They add, delete, or expand sections, then they restart the paragraph numbering scheme. So if you had a checklist that used the old book as your reference, you have to completely redo your checklist, because all of your citations (.e., chapter and verse of the rule book) are no longer correct. It's a bit of a pain.

The NEC does not work that way. It was developed through long years of bad experiences. The authors hope to prevent future tragedies by adding rules to prohibit the factors that caused earlier tragedies. But they kept the numbering scheme. If a rule was found in article 993.28 in the 1984 NEC (fictional example), it will probably still be found in article 993.28 in the 2005 version, even if article 993.27 was deleted in 1993. The advantage is that we old timers don't have to remember very many new article numbers. The disadvantage is that the paragraph structure will appear disorderly to the first timers.

You can get a loose leaf version, and can buy a set of tabs. I prefer the tabs that are full-size pages on hard card stock. Some people prefer the plastic stick-on tabs, which are your only choice if you have the soft-bound book. There is an on-line version that you can access for free. But it leads the pack, in terms of inconvenient ways to look something up. Look at the FAQ thread in the NEC area, to learn how to get access to the free copy.

I had a copy of the CDROM version for 2003 and 1999. They had an excellent search engine. I do not yet have the 2005 CDROM. But I have heard that its search engine is not as good as the old one.

physis

Back in 1996, they made a handy "pocket size" book, but for some reason they quit making that.
I bought one at a garage sale for a dollar. I thought it was some kind of an anomaly. I don't know where it went and I've never seen another one.

Edit: And it wouldn't fit in any pocket I know of.
icon10.gif

[ August 19, 2005, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Posted by Physics:

"And it wouldn't fit in any pocket I know of."

That's true. Maybe pocket size was the wrong term. Glove box size, or tool box size might be a better description :D

redfish

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Does anyone make an .html version? Yes, and I recommend the Handbook edition, it contains the NEC plus examples and illustrations, you will be able to cut, copy and paste.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Are there tabbed loose leaf formats? Yes, and the loose leaf notebook version is the easiest to reference once you add the tabs, unfortunately it is not available in the handbook format.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> Do electricians care the big books to the job site? Oh yes.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
dance.gif

ryan_618

Originally posted by charlie b:

I had a copy of the CDROM version for 2003 and 1999. They had an excellent search engine. I do not yet have the 2005 CDROM. But I have heard that its search engine is not as good as the old one.
I would strongly suggest doing what I did if you have the 2005 edition. Read THIS THREAD for more information.

physis

Here I am on the French Riviera cruisin' my Harley Fat Boy when I spotted a member of the fairer gender. :D :D

[ August 19, 2005, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

william runkle

The question of Electricians bring the code book on the job bothers me. It is always with me it is a tool of reference that I can not memorize all completely, and handy to answer any wiring question that pertains to the code. It would be like going to work without my side cutters and screwdriver if I didn't have my code book.

physis

You mean it wasn't your computer's fault? You should see the trouble mine gets me in.
icon10.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.