What is considered plug-in device in the NEC

Volt-Amps

With the 2021 IECC being adopted by multiple states, I read section C405.11.1 of the IECC (international Energy Conservation Code) to control power to receptacles, basically shutting off power to receptacles if space is vacant for some time. One of the line items states that "plug-in devices shall not comply". What does this mean? Does it mean "plug-in devices are not required to comply"
If yes, why can't they write it in simple language that everyone can understand?
Also, if yes, what are considered plug-in devices by the NEC, IECC, etc.? Is the computer considered a plug-in device? TV, space heater, blender, coffee maker, ....?
Thanks for your help

1713724739298.png

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I believe what this means is plug in devices will not be used to comply with the automatic requirements.
For example, a coffee maker timer

Volt-Amps

I believe what this means is plug in devices will not be used to comply with the automatic requirements.
For example, a coffee maker timer
Your understanding of it makes sense. So basically all receptacles fall under this rule, including wall TV outlets, above counter kitchen appliances, computer stations ... would you agree?

Issue is when you shut off power to computers for example, the computer thinks there is a problem and tries to restart in safe mode or start doing a string of checks, plus you risk losing the work you didn't save.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Your understanding of it makes sense. So basically all receptacles fall under this rule, including wall TV outlets, above counter kitchen appliances, computer stations ... would you agree?

Issue is when you shut off power to computers for example, the computer thinks there is a problem and tries to restart in safe mode or start doing a string of checks, plus you risk losing the work you didn't save.
Either split the receptacle or install another regular uncontrolled receptacle within 12”
From there let the client decide which receptacle devices are plugged into.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

It does not apply to dwelling units and as far as the computers, or other loads, use a split wired receptacle and tell every one not to plug anything in the "controlled" half of the receptacle.

406.3(F) requires this marking on the controlled receptacle
1713732130632.jpeg
To me that marking simply tells me not to use that receptacle and to use one of the uncontrolled ones :D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
When I last worked in an office, they had installed a small "makeshift" occupancy sensor under the desk at each cubicle. That gave us access to both controlled and uncontrolled receptacles. The only thing I plugged into the controlled receptacle was my electric pencil sharpener. Boy, did I feel good about saving the world's energy supply!