What is the difference between single-conductor cables and single conductor?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I believe that a single conductors only has the metal wire and its insulation, whereas any "cable" has a jacket surrounding all the conductors.

kwired

Electron manager
Single conductors need to be installed in wiring methods - raceways, wireways, etc. Or there is direct burial conductors.

Cable assemblies do not need to be installed in other wiring methods, they are considered a wiring method on their own. There is not very many single conductor cables out there.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There are single conductors and single conductor cables and they really look identical...I have no idea of what the difference is.
Some have told me that THHN is a single conductor cable because of the nylon jacket, but I really don't know.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I would think the use of "single-conductor cable" is just to differentiate that the single conductor must be listed for and marked on the surface for use in cable trays.

Compare that to the Article 392 use of "single conductors" which may be used as equipment grounding conductors, and are not required to be listed for or marked for use in cable trays.

kwired

Electron manager
There are single conductors and single conductor cables and they really look identical...I have no idea of what the difference is.
Some have told me that THHN is a single conductor cable because of the nylon jacket, but I really don't know.
THHN is not a stand alone chapter 3 wiring method though. It must be run within some other chapter 3 method as a general rule.

I believe there is possibly single conductor type MI cable, maybe UF or USE as well, that are stand alone wiring methods. Most other NEC recognized "cables" are typically multi conductor.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
THHN is not a stand alone chapter 3 wiring method though. It must be run within some other chapter 3 method as a general rule.

I believe there is possibly single conductor type MI cable, maybe UF or USE as well, that are stand alone wiring methods. Most other NEC recognized "cables" are typically multi conductor.
I am not suggesting that all single conductor cables can be run without being in a Chapter 3 wiring method.
I just have no idea of what a single conductor cable is and how it differs from a single conductor.
Since this term is used in the NEC it should be defined in the NEC.