what makes a good foreman

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper chopper

I really getting tired of the shop I work for sending me forcing me to put to work, foreman that no one else wants. They are what I like to call non- working foreman,
the way are union is set up each foreman is only responsable for 5 people. All these guys seem to do all day is walk around talking to others and avoiding the use of there tools...they dont seem to be code savy or even upbeat. Maybe I am wrong, please tell me what you feel makes a good FOREMAN.:sick:

S'mise

I really getting tired of the shop I work for sending me forcing me to put to work, foreman that no one else wants. They are what I like to call non- working foreman,
the way are union is set up each foreman is only responsable for 5 people. All these guys seem to do all day is walk around talking to others and avoiding the use of there tools...they dont seem to be code savy or even upbeat. Maybe I am wrong, please tell me what you feel makes a good FOREMAN.:sick:

You could quit if your not happy. I don't think they are forcing you to work. If this is a union shop, I would think jobs are given by seniority.
On the pluss side, union jobs generally pay a bit more money.
What make a good foreman? Although you may not think so.... It's the hard nosed ones probably just like the one you work for.
(from a productivity standpoint anyway)

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
The 5 guys he supervises are his tools and it is his responsibility to ensure the company gets what they are paying for.
I agree. I have had the pleasure of working for some good ones over the years.

I would add that a good foreman is organized, has the gear needed on the job, gives clear instructions, and can answer or will get answers to questions or will make a decision.

handy10

I agree. I have had the pleasure of working for some good ones over the years.

I would add that a good foreman is organized, has the gear needed on the job, gives clear instructions, and can answer or will get answers to questions or will make a decision.

All of the above! I would add that a supervisor who tells you what he is thinking is a wonderful attribute. I don't like the ones who say one thing to me and the opposite to someone else. I once had a supervisor about whom someone said "there are only two things I don't like about him and that's his face."

A few disconnected thoughts-

One super for five workers sounds excessive. Contracts aside, a good foreman should be able to keep that many j-men working plus some apprentices. Your mileage may vary.

The foreman needs to know the job, the code, and the other trades' foreman. They need to make sure that their workers have everything needed to work (materials, knowledge, large tools, time, help, etc). They need to keep track of what the other trades are doing so nobody gets in the others way and the work gets done.

They shouldn't expect to spend that much time with their own tools. OTOH, if they're doing a good job of keeping everyone else working, no reason not to pick up their Klein's, too.

When I'm running a crew, usually I end up doing two things- 1) keeping the crew going with info and materials, and 2) filling in the time with things that I can drop at a moment's notice to go back to number 1.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
A few disconnected thoughts-

One super for five workers sounds excessive. Contracts aside, a good foreman should be able to keep that many j-men working plus some apprentices. Your mileage may vary.

The foreman needs to know the job, the code, and the other trades' foreman. They need to make sure that their workers have everything needed to work (materials, knowledge, large tools, time, help, etc). They need to keep track of what the other trades are doing so nobody gets in the others way and the work gets done.

They shouldn't expect to spend that much time with their own tools. OTOH, if they're doing a good job of keeping everyone else working, no reason not to pick up their Klein's, too.

When I'm running a crew, usually I end up doing two things- 1) keeping the crew going with info and materials, and 2) filling in the time with things that I can drop at a moment's notice to go back to number 1.

The last part is a good reply. When I was running a crew I was usually a working foreman simply because that's the way I wanted it, but then all of the guys had to be top nothch because I didn't have time to stop what I was doing and run around putting out a bunch of fires. I figured my work time into the schedule so, If I didn't get my work done it put us behind. Now a non working foreman should not just be standing around either he can get parts and help out, so in essence he becomes a high paid helper.

SIRSPARKSALOT

Questions - Please ask questions

Questions - Please ask questions

As a former foreman and now project manager & estimator, I appreciate when my foremen call and ask questions rather than make assumptions as to how something was bid or intended to be installed.

Additionally, my foremen do no get involved with the GC, CM or PM. That is my job. By letting me do mine they can concentrate more on their own.

copper chopper

yes it is a union thing with the 5 guys. and also the joke around this shop is that we call it F and F electric ( friends and family ).I do not fit this catagory and if work was like it was in the 90s I would make a phone call and be working somewhere else the next day. For now all I can do is shake my head and keep bringing in those weekly pay checks.

Now a non working foreman should not just be standing around either he can get parts and help out, so in essence he becomes a high paid helper.

A highly paid helper until he needs to be a foreman :D. As I think about it, if I'm the fore, I probably spend half my time managing and the other half working, but often the work isn't the kind that requires lots of concentration (pulling wire, making up outlets, etc) because I'm keeping on ear on what's going on around the site and may have to run off to deal with something.

Definitely an interesting discussion.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Did I misinterpret the original post? I get the impression he is complaining about a foreman of a 5 man crew not working with his tools. Either way, I ask, at what point do you think a foreman is likely to need to put away his tools? I kind of feel it is around 8 men total. That assumes a mix of decent Journeymen to helpers and apprentices. There is so much more to the issue though. When I was running jobs, I basically was handed a set of plans, specs and a scope, and once a month I was asked what my progress was (per the schedule of values for billing) and when the job was over I handed in as-builts. I wrote all RFI's and change orders (priced by the office) fought all the battles, attended all the meetings, decided manpower levels, handled all material, quoted and misc. In that case, I would still use tools, but often go days without strapping them on. Like ZBang said, I often found that the main tool I used was a broom! Or making up panels or something at the good times, because I could drop it at a moments notice, take care of the fires and then get back to it. The last thing you want to do is be a critical part of a wire pull, or running equipment others are depending on, no matter how much more fun that is.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
A highly paid helper until he needs to be a foreman :D. As I think about it, if I'm the fore, I probably spend half my time managing and the other half working, but often the work isn't the kind that requires lots of concentration (pulling wire, making up outlets, etc) because I'm keeping on ear on what's going on around the site and may have to run off to deal with something.

Definitely an interesting discussion.

That was exactly my point. If you are a true working foreman, then you will never get your foreman duties done, but if you do some things like you said, then it's not so hard to simply get up and go foreman.

Well I am currently a foreman and balance my time between me having my bags on and doing the non bag wearing jobs it's all about time management. Each Foreman has a different style. I learned from a great foreman and seen how he got the max out if me so I use the same philosophy. My motto is I won't let someone do something that I wouldn't do

Status
Not open for further replies.