What power tool line up is best

Status
Not open for further replies.

-marty

Re: What power tool line up is best

I took my hole hawg in for repairs several years ago and was told it would take 90 working days before I would get it back. All my new tools are yellow and I like them very much. They cost more, so what, I use them every day with no down time.

templdl

I have a super sawzal that is about 5 years old. I just up and quite out of the blue. Since I live in the Milwaukee,WI. area I tool it directly to the factory service center. They replaced the trigger and even replaced the keyless chuck with a more recent version in less than 3 days at no charge probably because they judged that the failure was not because of miss use.
It gives me confidence in the manufactured who backs the quality of their tool beyond the standard warranty. I feel that it is my responsibility to pay for the repair of a tool because of wear or misuse.
But, I also have some Bosch, Makita, and Dewalt.
I don't just zero in on a manufacture but evaluate each tool for performance and dependability. However, getting service is a big factor no matter who the manufacturer is. If you can't get it fixed in the even that there is a failure, or you just plain messed up and broke it, in a reasonable amount of time what good is the tool.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I think each mfg has their flagship tool, such as Skill Saw from Skill or Sawzall from Milwaukee. For a great magazine on tools - and its free, do a search for Hanley Wood Tools of the Trade. They have great tool reviews by folks in the trade. Its interesting to see the detailed comments about each type of tool tested...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I have owned Milwaukee, Hitachi, Makita, Bosch, Porta Cable, DeWalt, B&D, Delta, Craftsman, Ridgid, Greenlee and the list goes on. These are are good tools if the job they are going to be used for is considered. In the contractor world of tools the heavier built tool (not necessarily as in wieght) is the better tool. You can also buy more tool than is practical and make jobs actually harder.

We all have seen the carpenters using small table saws on job sites where they could have bought a cast iron unisaw, (cabinet saw) but it wasn't necessary.

Roger

dereckbc

Staff member

I agree with most of the brands mentioned so far. But one has been left out. Hilti makes the best hammer drill line I have ever used.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Derek I agree 100% about Hilti. They used to be exclusive on only being sold thru distrbutors, but now they are being sold in some big box stores. We had a large hammer drill (TE-60) that was 25 years old that never had service and just recently died. Also I prefer their SS expansion bolts, I have installed many hundreds, and the off shore versions, esp in 1/4" will bend. I have never bent a Hilti expansion anchor, of course they are more expensive...but when installing a anchor in a sewage wetwell its nice to get it set the first time and not have to climb out for a new one.

dereckbc

Staff member

Tom I usually do not boast about Japanese made products (I think Hilti is Japanese), but in my buisness we specify the Hilti HSL series M-12, M-16, and M-20 anchors to be used with Hilti drill bits. The HSL anchors are the only anchors most telecom companies will use in siesmic areas. They cannot be beat in performance.

I have personally used The TE-72 rotohammer for years. Drilled up to 300 7/8 inch holes 5 inches deep in 3500 lbs test concrete in a day. Filed the thing with concrete dust, mud, blood, and beer, and the darn thing keeps on working for years. It is great on rods too. I am also a fan of thier diamond coring tools, and smaller hammer drills. Wished they made saws!

You are right on the expense of the drills and anchors. But in this case you get what you pay for. Second to none.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Dereck: Hilti company is in Liechtenstein. The Bechtel Corp. is a major stockholder.

Punch in Keyword "Hilti" There is some good information on the sites.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by tom baker:
...but when installing a anchor in a sewage wetwell its nice to get it set the first time and not have to climb out for a new one.
:D LOL :D I will be in that "stuff" next week myself, if only they could make an anchor that would climb down there and install itself. :D

[ June 09, 2003, 05:38 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.