• Something else entirely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeasure

Hi there,

My name is Adam from eMeasure. I joined the forum recently and have been following discussions as a silent observer.

For the first time I wanted to ask a question myself.

We all face challenges when trying to accomplish our objectives.

I’m very interested to learn what obstacles you face when trying to place a bid or complete a project.

These issues could be singular or multiple. For example perhaps you can’t source a particular blueprint/plan or maybe something you’ve outsourced is taking too long. Perhaps certain specialized materials are hard to come by.

Given how specialized some projects are the impediments could be something entirely different, in which please share you wisdom.

In any case, what obstacles do you believe are the most common in your day to day experience?

Thank you for reading this and thank you also for sharing you experiences.

cdslotz

I don't understand the questions...

First...I never ever had a problem completing a bid that I vetted to accept. The bid has a deadline, if I miss it, I've wasted a lot of my time.

Second....I never ever did a job I didn't complete. There are complications including last minute change orders, incompetent GC, weather, etc......
but I don't get my final payment until I complete the project

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you are talking about bidding a "designed" job, the biggest problem is the very poor quality of the design documents.

I am sure most of us have similar complaints. I rarely have problems on a job that are my fault. The big 4 problems I run into very frequently are:
1. Various project delays and waiting, then they want it done right away.
2. They say they are ready or need you ASAP, and they are not actually ready and/or you bust your A$$ and other trades are way behind.
3. Customer supplies incomplete material, such as light fixtures.
4. Locations and equipment decisions not made timely.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think a guy named eMeasure is selling estimating/management software
Until he openly advertises or promotes a product he has done nothing wrong.

Let's assume it's as he presents it to be and he is simply asking for trade peoples input to make his product better.

Roger

eMeasure

I think a guy named eMeasure is selling estimating/management software

Hi,

This is our profession but we're also aware that online communities don't like blatant sales spam. So we are respectfully refraining from doing that.

We do wish to ask questions that will allow us to understand more about real world problems faced by professionals on a daily basis.

If I speak or post in a manner that appears to be inappropriate then please let me know.

Until he openly advertises or promotes a product he has done nothing wrong.

Let's assume it's as he presents it to be and he is simply asking for trade peoples input to make his product better.

Roger

Thank Roger. That is the purpose of this post.

I wish to learn about blockages encountered when trying to complete projects.

I won't be posting any blatant commercial messages here but I believe asking questions and sharing unbiased opinion is generally acceptable unless told otherwise.

cdslotz

Thanks.

By design documents would I be right in guessing these are floor plans, blueprints, electrical layout with related symbols etc?

Yes, but every set of documents have issues like, contradictions in documents, design mistakes, omissions, incomplete, just to name a few.
Every bid I have done, these had to be flushed out, by getting clarifications, RFI's, meetings, and if all that fails, a completely detailed scope letter/proposal explaining exactly what I am including/excluding and clarifications
including "below the line" adds/deducts.
On-screen takoff (I assume this is what you're getting at) only sees it like it is....garbage in....garbage out

I wish to learn about blockages encountered when trying to complete projects.

I stated before issues that are out of your control at the end of a job that a management program could fix.
However, all PM software includes labor management, material management, billing, change orders, scheduling....and have for decades.
The only thing I can think of that a PM program is helpful at the end is putting together Owner's Manuals and job cost auditing, and....oh yes....build your case when you go to court

Status
Not open for further replies.