what size wire does your power co use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicknorth

I was wondering what size of wire your power company uses for 200amp service? Around here they where using 4/0, but now they have drop down to 1/0 AL. For 320 service (320amp meter bases) They only use 4/0 AL.

pierre

Re: what size wire does your power co use?

In the lower NYS area, you can see 2 AWG from the POCO. Depending on the field rep, today we see anywhere from 2 AWG to 2/0.

Years ago, we could ask for just about any size service to a building, within reason. Today they want a load calculation and have tightened up the allowable size service... the reason is the concern for the lack of power available in certain grid zones. It never ceases to amaze me how the POCO can supply what seems like unlimited power - with all of this new building in the last 15 years.

charlie tuna

originally they had 4/0 al. feeding a pole between my house and my neighbors, we each have 200 amp services. they tee tap the two services at the top of the pole. an out of state line company came by after the hurricane and replaced a section using #2 al. i am very happy to have power -- but i'm sure this causes some voltage drop to my appliances.

bphgravity

Obviously, conductors in free air have a higher current-carrying capacity and utility calculations are way more liberal then the NEC. (and probably more accurate) Plus, many power companies use the sevice drop conductors as their "fuse" for overloads and faults.

Status
Not open for further replies.