what this could be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Greeting all,

I have attached two substation files. Can any body tell me what this drum could be which is hanged and shown in picture. I was passing in a road and saw this thing in a substation.

w2zh0_th.jpg

50kyza.jpg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've seen them on one phase in many sub-stations. I think it's called a trap, and I believe it acts a low-pass filter to let power through. I believe it's purpose is to allow high-frequency signalling to travel from sub to sub on the wire.

cadpoint

I've seen them on one phase in many sub-stations. I think it's called a trap, and I believe it acts a low-pass filter to let power through. I believe it's purpose is to allow high-frequency signalling to travel from sub to sub on the wire.

So in layman's terms this is where the put the screamer to determine where the power line goes opps (broken/ trouble) ? Cool ;)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Utilities have used carrier frequency power line communications for many decades. Why run separate communication circuits when you are already interconnected with power conductors.

Although this is the first time I have seen a 'trap' hanging. Usually they are mounted horizontal on a structure, like a breaker is.

zog

Utilities have used carrier frequency power line communications for many decades. Why run separate communication circuits when you are already interconnected with power conductors.

Although this is the first time I have seen a 'trap' hanging. Usually they are mounted horizontal on a structure, like a breaker is.

Same here, usually mounted on the structure. Given the location of thi sub I suppose it is possible, I am guessing thier standards are different than ours.

Hameedulla-Ekhlas

Same here, usually mounted on the structure. Given the location of thi sub I suppose it is possible, I am guessing thier standards are different than ours.

Yes, exactly standards could be different in here ( Ukraine kiev ) and I have seen many strange type of transformers which I had not seen in Afghanistan. But the purpose of usage must be same. I had not seen such a drum hanging in any substation in Afghanistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.