what to do with ground in transfer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo1234

New User
Occupation
retired
i just purchased a Generac 24 KW with Transfer switch. Currently in planning phase. I plan on placing gen and TS switch 10 feet away from meter, from TS use my existing 4/0 AL 220 foot run to house panel, buried. Wiring appears straight forward till I seen the insulated ground connection from gen to TS. My power company 16 years ago supplied a meter with the service to the 200 amp panel in house being only 2 120 volt and 1 neutral with no seperate ground wire to the house panel. The bare ground wire from meter pole is stapled to pole and and buried next to pole. The panel in house has a ground rod. So my problem is the gen has a ground that goes to transfer switch ground bar, but what then? Do i bond the neutral and ground bars in TS? Do I run a ground wire in conduit from TS ground bar and clamp it to the meter pole ? Or do get another ground rod just for the TS and clamp to it.

thanks,
Jim

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. We are not allowed to assist a person who is not an electrician to perform their own electrical installation work.

Status
Not open for further replies.