what type of sump pump can be used in class 2 area of grain elevator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
What type of sump pump can be used in a class 2 area of a grain elevator
While we can reasonably assume Group G, is this Class II, Division 1 or 2?

The pump itself is outside the NEC's scope. The pump motor is dependent on the Division.

In either case, See Section 502.125.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
While we can reasonably assume Group G, is this Class II, Division 1 or 2?

The pump itself is outside the NEC's scope. The pump motor is dependent on the Division.

In either case, See Section 502.125.

Bob, you are definitely an expert on hazardous locations and I have learned quite a bit reading your postings, Thanks!!

This would be considered Class II Div.I Group G. So far I have talked to 3 manufacturers of sump pumps and the do not have a pump the is designed to be installed in this location.

hurk27

could you use a non-grinder ejector pump, as far as I know they are all listed for classified areas because of how some locations classifies a sewage pit.

Many come with the same plug and float systems used on sump pumps.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
This would be considered Class II Div.I Group G. So far I have talked to 3 manufacturers of sump pumps and the do not have a pump the is designed to be installed in this location.
As I mentioned earlier, the pump itself is outside the scope of the NEC. However, UL lists plenty of motors for Class II, Division 1. The link is to UL's Guide Information. See "view listings" in the upper left to see the manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.