What would this take in hours and your price?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjp_ne_elec

Have a small job, and I'd like to hear how many hours you figure (each of us has a different hourly rate) and also what your price would be - breaking out material separately cost/mark-up)

Add new 240V single phase panel, with feed coming from 15' away. Run 20A twist lock 240V receptacles along same wall - this done in 1/2" EMT, 4" square metal boxes with raised covers. Then add two cord drops from ceiling - using ceiling mounted box, FS cover w/1/2" threaded hole. Length of 10' of SJO cord with Kellum Grips at each end, two gang FS box with two 120V receptacles in each two gang FS box. Octagon boxes mounted to 512HD Caddy bar, supported with Jack Chain (this method suggested by several and really detailed thanks to Iwire). To feed these two boxes you have to fish MC cable through ceiling (one run is 60', other is 90'), and add about 6 new supports from metal ceiling trusses that are about 7' above ceiling. There are a few existing independent means of supporting certain sections of the cable.

In panel, add two 20A two pole breakers to feed the two 240V grounded twist-lock surface mount receptacles.

Buck Parrish

With out looking at it. I would say $2500. -$3500.

IMO( Any time you add a panel, you should charge more. That's when you don't work by the hour, because you might loose money.

Sparky555

What size 1PH panel?

What height is 7' above ceiling?
What size stepladder, or scissors lift to get there?

satcom

With out looking at it. I would say $2500. -$3500.

IMO( Any time you add a panel, you should charge more. That's when you don't work by the hour, because you might loose money.

For my area that may be a low ball figure, not many EC's around here work T&M, they cost out the job, and present a contract, we see side job guys, and some new EC's try to use T&M until they realize they are loosing money big time. Try to get your hours down, and then just add your cost of doing business, break even price plus a decent profit.

wbalsam1

Have a small job, and I'd like to hear how many hours you figure (each of us has a different hourly rate) and also what your price would be - breaking out material separately cost/mark-up)

Add new 240V single phase panel, with feed coming from 15' away. Run 20A twist lock 240V receptacles along same wall - this done in 1/2" EMT, 4" square metal boxes with raised covers. Then add two cord drops from ceiling - using ceiling mounted box, FS cover w/1/2" threaded hole. Length of 10' of SJO cord with Kellum Grips at each end, two gang FS box with two 120V receptacles in each two gang FS box. Octagon boxes mounted to 512HD Caddy bar, supported with Jack Chain (this method suggested by several and really detailed thanks to Iwire). To feed these two boxes you have to fish MC cable through ceiling (one run is 60', other is 90'), and add about 6 new supports from metal ceiling trusses that are about 7' above ceiling. There are a few existing independent means of supporting certain sections of the cable.

In panel, add two 20A two pole breakers to feed the two 240V grounded twist-lock surface mount receptacles.

Mind showing your figures first? :confused::)

bjp_ne_elec

What size 1PH panel?

What height is 7' above ceiling?
What size stepladder, or scissors lift to get there?

1. Size of panel is 20 circuit QO with MLO. Physical size is about 24" tall x 20" wide.
2. The bottom of the ceiling trusses are 7' above the acoustical tile ceiling.

3. Only ladder readily accessible is 8' step and 24' extension. No scissor lift availabe, unless rented. So let's assume you do everything off the step ladder.
Support drops will be either steel wire (used by ceiling guys) or jack chain. Creativity required.

Sparky555

1. Size of panel is 20 circuit QO with MLO. Physical size is about 24" tall x 20" wide.
2. The bottom of the ceiling trusses are 7' above the acoustical tile ceiling.

3. Only ladder readily accessible is 8' step and 24' extension. No scissor lift availabe, unless rented. So let's assume you do everything off the step ladder.
Support drops will be either steel wire (used by ceiling guys) or jack chain. Creativity required.

Communication is fun sometimes. I was attempting to determine if the ceiling trusses could be reached by stepladder (and what height stepladder), or if a lift would be needed and if a lift could be used in the area of the project. This can be significant in quotes.

Anyway $4-5k sounds good to me, but access is key. The distance to the truck/van can make it more or less. The use of a large stepladder or lift can make it more or less.

Thanks to all who have posted on all this.
I enjoy learning your bidding styles.

I want to understand how to bid properly, and you all present a good way of looking at things.

Things like: Material, Labor, Labor Rate, PITA factor (nice name there, BTW)

Keep posting!

Thanks,
Greg

bjp_ne_elec

Communication is fun sometimes. I was attempting to determine if the ceiling trusses could be reached by stepladder (and what height stepladder), or if a lift would be needed and if a lift could be used in the area of the project. This can be significant in quotes.

Anyway $4-5k sounds good to me, but access is key. The distance to the truck/van can make it more or less. The use of a large stepladder or lift can make it more or less.

Sparky - sorry about not being clear, or answering your question. I have an 8' step ladder, and thought about running out and picking up a 10' step ladder. But when I measured things up, I still would not be able to safely reach the trusses to run things through or attach to - even if I was on the extreme top step of the ladder (two steps higher than OSHA would approve of). I guess a 12' step ladder would work, but it would be a bear to move around to each opening, trying to get it scooted through the 2'x4' opening without busting up the grid.

So what I was looking for, is being creative (and I have a separate post with many great ideas - like hanging ceiling wire and twisting with a homemade "twisty tool" our of 3/4" conduit. A lift could be brought in, for added cost, but it would be a nightmare to move around due to the congestion in the particular lab I will be working in.

Volta

So what I was looking for, is being creative (and I have a separate post with many great ideas - like hanging ceiling wire and twisting with a homemade "twisty tool" our of 3/4" conduit. A lift could be brought in, for added cost, but it would be a nightmare to move around due to the congestion in the particular lab I will be working in.

Above ceiling support thread

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=108429

Status
Not open for further replies.