What Year NEC Code Has Your State Adopted ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Falling Behind Electrical Safety - The NEC is now working on the 2023, but most state have only adopted 2017. The process of adoption is scrambled between state and local governments. This has caused major life & safety concerns. Please check on your local government agency and write to your representative.

Attachments

• NEC - Policy Institute Falling Behing Electrical SafetyReport #2.pdf
    763 KB · Views: 23

mtnelect

Occupation
If you go to the NEC website and look at the many sub committees and members (mostly companies) protecting their products., you will see a major operation. Is it for safety, money or both ? I would like a discussion on code making policy.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The 2020 NEC has some changes that caused a lot of issues as evidenced by the questions asked here.
1. emergency disconnects for services
2.GFCI requirements for ranges, ovens and outside HVAC equipment.
Many states have adopted rules to delay implementation of these changes
I would like to see WA delay adoption of the 2023 by 18-24 months

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There is a list on Mikes website of states and year code adopted

retirede

It would really be interesting to see real statistics comparing electrocution deaths, injuries, and fires in states “falling behind” vs states quickly adopting the latest codes.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
When WA didn't adopt the expanded AFCI requirements in 2005, there was a flying squad from NFPA that made a presentation at our Electrical Board meeting on why to adopt the latest standards.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
If I made the money that organization makes and had the electrical market pinned up like NFPA I would follow suit and make a new edition every three years also.
I’ve posted their 990s here before.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I appreciate staying a cycle back. It allows for some of the "bugs" of the newest code to be vetted out by someone else. Like we are seeing issues caused by the GFCI requirements for the 30 -50A outlets outside that included HVAC and causing tripping as the equipment standards for "leakage" wasn't up to having GFCI protection. There have been reported several states are adopting an exception to the requirement.

Buck Parrish

Indiana is on 08 but they struck out the TRs and AFCIs.
No state license required. The bigger cities require their own licensing.
You have to have a state plumbing license.
I took this photo last week

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220322-075449_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220322-075449_Gallery.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 32

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If you go to the NEC website and look at the many sub committees and members (mostly companies) protecting their products., you will see a major operation. Is it for safety, money or both ? I would like a discussion on code making policy.
No NEC code making panel can have more than one third of the members from any of the nine interest groups that can have members on a code making panel. It takes a two thirds majority to make a code change.

mtnelect

Occupation
I was just on the NFPA website, reading about committee discussion topics. The first one was electric vehicles connecting to power homes. They were concerned about feedback damage ! The second one was about defining the word normal and reconditioned equipment. Molded circuit breakers can't be reconditioned but large scale breaker assemblies can. These are topics coming up soon.

retirede

I was just on the NFPA website, reading about committee discussion topics. The first one was electric vehicles connecting to power homes. They were concerned about feedback damage ! The second one was about defining the word normal and reconditioned equipment. Molded circuit breakers can't be reconditioned but large scale breaker assemblies can. These are topics coming up soon.

What is meant by “feedback damage”?

I’m familiar with concerns about back-feeding utilities, but this term seems odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.