Whats the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If you want the NEC buy the black book which is the NEC, if you want the NEC with a bunch of opinion commentary buy the blue book which is the NECH.

Roger

Ace18

Thanks. I think i'm going to buy the CD version so i can just print the pages i need when i need them.

PCN

The black one is the basic code book, the blue one is the handbook. The handbook has a lot of illiustrations and diagrams that really help explain the articles in greater detail. I'd be lost without it.
The regular code book is just mostly text.
I think the handbook is well worth the extra cost.

celtic

Can someone slap some NECH commentary/images up....new laptop here, all PWs not available to places like photobucket.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well it says you can. seller has 100% feedback so maybe I wont have to be the first negative feedback.

There is something different about it. You may not be able to get the folio view and do searches. I would be curious to know when about it when you get it. I am quite sure it is a pirated version.

ptrip

Just ordered the CD version off ebay for $23.00

uh oh-- you may not be happy about that. There have been many versions out there on ebay that will not let you print or copy articles

The last CD version I had allowed installation on two computers ... only. I kind of wondered what would happen if the computer crapped out and I had to rebuild ... and reload ... but that never happened so I have no experience with it.

and yes ... somehow the CD knew that it was being loaded a second time ... it gave me a warning screen that I couldn't load it on any more computers.

Good luck!

growler

One good thing about buying a copy of the handbook is that it has a hard cover and will stay in good condition for many years if you leave it at the office.

It's nice to keep the old code books for the future reference just so you can look back at past codes. I often forget just when certain codes where changed.

Not only that but when you get a stack of those things it lets you know how old you are getting.:rolleyes: I have been doing this crap for how long?:confused:

celtic

I like the NEC in hardcopy, but prefer the NECH on the computer.

NECH snippets:
Exhibit25049250130.jpg

Pictures.jpg

Highlighter.jpg

Searchscreen.jpg

I need to get an '08 edition :grin:

eprice

Just curious, why would someone have a need to look at old codes if they have been changed?

As an inspector I need to do this occasionally. Something that was legal when it was installed is still legal today even though it may not meet today's code. There are times when I need to know "What was the code when this was installed?"

raider1

Staff member
There is something different about it. You may not be able to get the folio view and do searches. I would be curious to know when about it when you get it. I am quite sure it is a pirated version.

It appears from the E-bay description that this is a PDF format copy of the book only. It doesn't appear that this is the interactive folioview version.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.