What's the physical difference between a Neutral bus bar and a Ground Bus Bar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DM2-Inc

We're trying to standardize on a bus bar for our instrument enclosures. We typically need a bar for safety ground and another "Isolated" bar for instrument ground. Nsi Industries has a nice copper bus bar (Catalog No. GBC2-7) that has an isolated mounting component, as does Siemens (although navigating their web site is terrible).

I'm seeing information for "Neutral" and "Ground" bus bars, as if there's something different in the way that they're manufactured, or maybe tested, and was wondering if someone here knew.

fmtjfw

Except in the cabinet containing the service disconnect, the neutral bar must be isolated from the cabinet.
The grounding bar may be mounted on any cabinet without insulation.
If I have both in a cabinet I usually stick a piece of white tape near the neutral bar and green near the grounding bar.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Some neutral bars, with their supports, have a provision for a bonding screw which makes a connection through the support to the box.
That way it can be used in either service panel or subpanel.
A ground bar never needs to be isolated.
Is there also a difference in max allowed conductors per screw?

Tapatalk!

fmtjfw

Some neutral bars, with their supports, have a provision for a bonding screw which makes a connection through the support to the box.
That way it can be used in either service panel or subpanel.
A ground bar never needs to be isolated.
Is there also a difference in max allowed conductors per screw?

Tapatalk!

There may be differences in the same bar between the number of neutral wires and number of ground wires in a given hole in the bar. Often 2 or 3 ground wires can be in the same hole under a single screw, while only a single neutral wire per hole.

Neutral wires a "current carrying" while grounding wires are expected to carry current momentarily at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.