Whats up with this breaker

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Looks to me, by the sticker vs. the handle, it's still a 150amp 2p 200 amp breaker today whatever that is. :)

Jap>

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I caught the mismatch immediately.

It's either factory-mislabeled or field-modified, but the sticker looks pristine, no lifted corners.

Why is it detached from the panel? Is it being installed or removed? What was there before?

david

I caught the mismatch immediately.

It's either factory-mislabeled or field-modified, but the sticker looks pristine, no lifted corners.

Why is it detached from the panel? Is it being installed or removed? What was there before?
There is 150 amp service entrance.

There was 200 amp main in panel in basement

I beleave the main was going to be changed to 150 amp breaker.

But this photo seems to imply There is an attempt to change out a part of the 200 amp breaker to be a 150 amp

I have no idea why this is being done verses changing out the main to 150 amp.

retirede

The label is definitely skewed a bit. I don’t know if that’s a sign of it being replaced in the field, or simply poor placement at the factory?

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
I would call your sales rep and return it. It looks like a manufacturer mistake.

I am personally more inclined to believe the handle's rating than the sticker. The sticker is put on after the device is made. The handle seems to be more integral to the device's construction. I think it is more likely they mixed up the sticker/cover plate than mixed up the handle.

Are there any other stickers or markings on the frame? I am thinking maybe there isa UPC code or barcode on the frame that might help find it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It's jacked up.
Get a breaker where the sticker matches the handle.
As it is now, I'd say it's a 200 amp breaker mislabeled as a 150 amp.

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It's jacked up.

JAP>
If you were not the person responsible, I would speculate that inspector failed the installation based on the 200A breaker and someone "fixed" it by swapping the label from another breaker.
Or the breaker that came from the supplier was a returned "defect" that was just restocked.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If you were not the person responsible, I would speculate that inspector failed the installation based on the 200A breaker and someone "fixed" it by swapping the label from another breaker.
Or the breaker that came from the supplier was a returned "defect" that was just restocked.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Again,

It's jacked up.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I think what the OP meant by replacing "part" of the breaker to make it 150 amp is referring to changing out the trip unit inside of it, and, in turn, putting a sticker on it to match the trip unit instead of changing out the entire breaker.

Problem is, although a handy option for adjustable trip breakers to be able to do so, to my knowledge the trip unit in this type of breaker is fixed and is not capable of being interchanged.

Therefore my bet is still an accidently mislabeled breaker.

JAP>