whats wrong with my ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

I have a APC 1500 va ups in my home for my computer and stuff and lately i noticed that small fan on it is running more than usual. Also there is a smell simillar to rotten eggs eminating from it. I have unplugged it and removed the batteries. Im assuming that the batteries are at the end of their cycle. Am i correct?

tonyou812

ron said:
How long have you had those batteries? Usually they need to be replaced every 3-5 years.
I got it used from a bank job but I would say its around that. Ive been using it for about 2 1/2 years and Im sure the bank had it for a few.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
tonyou812 said:
I got it used from a bank job but I would say its around that. Ive been using it for about 2 1/2 years and Im sure the bank had it for a few.

Get rid of it.. Time for a new one. When the ups goes down it's time to buy new. :D

mxslick

Dennis Alwon said:
Get rid of it.. Time for a new one. When the ups goes down it's time to buy new. :D

Not so fast. APC has excellent tech support, and will arrange for disposal of the old batteries.

go to http://www.apc.com

I have had very good experiences with their products.

They also have a program to upgrade an older UPS regardless of brand.

Contact them first..new batteries are cheap compared to a new UPS.

Besoeker

tonyou812 said:
I'm with mxslick on this.
Look into replacement batteries first.
Do you know what the autonomy of your UPS is? i.e. how long will it support the load in the absence of a mains supply?
If you're just using it to clean up the supply, maybe you could get by with a lower Ah capacity battery than currently installed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
mxslick said:
Not so fast. APC has excellent tech support, and will arrange for disposal of the old batteries.

go to http://www.apc.com

I have had very good experiences with their products.

They also have a program to upgrade an older UPS regardless of brand.

Contact them first..new batteries are cheap compared to a new UPS.

My aps cost less than $300 maybe. The battery replacement will cost half that. I am sorry but if the unit is more than 5 years old I think I would replace the unit.

iwire

Staff member
Besoeker said:
If you're just using it to clean up the supply, maybe you could get by with a lower Ah capacity battery than currently installed.

It is my opinion that virtually none of the small plug in UPS systems marketed today do anything to clean up the power. They are virtually all 'off line' UPS. About all they do is add some surge suppression that you can get from a plug strip.

I personnel gave up on running my battery back up. However I don't do things at home that would be 'lost' without battery back up. Obviously if you are doing work that can be lost due to a power failure a UPS is a good idea, or you could just remember to hit 'Ctrl S' more often.

tonyou812

I understand, I dont really need it. It was on its way to the dumpster when I saw it and grabed it from a laborer. It is a rack system unit and it retails for 850 $ I took it home and plugged it in and a day later it came back on line. And its been working fine for 2 1/2 years. Im just curious as to why the rotten egg smell?

djohns6

I have a small APS brand system and wouldn't be without it . We get a fair number of blinks on my circuit and it's nice to have my computer hang in there while the Recloser is doing it's thing .

Besoeker

iwire said:
It is my opinion that virtually none of the small plug in UPS systems marketed today do anything to clean up the power. They are virtually all 'off line' UPS. About all they do is add some surge suppression that you can get from a plug strip.
Good point.
Although at 1500VA, it isn't so small for domestic back-up. It is probably a free-standing unit and, given that it is from a commercial organisation, a bank, it may be double conversion.
Sometimes we supply a UPS as part of a system. I don't recall any that were not true on-line systems. Sure, they are normally a bit bigger and mostly three-phase. But that last one we did, part of a lighting system, was just 1.5 kVA.
iwire said:
I personnel gave up on running my battery back up. However I don't do things at home that would be 'lost' without battery back up. Obviously if you are doing work that can be lost due to a power failure a UPS is a good idea, or you could just remember to hit 'Ctrl S' more often.
I use a laptop at home and at work.
A mains power interuption is a bit inconvenient in that peripherals stop working but data loss isn't a problem.
But, earlier this year I had my laptop stolen at an airport. Obviously I was a bit hacked off about it. Data loss wasn't such a big problem in that most of it was backed up on a server and most of my emails are copied to my PA.
What was annoying, and continues to be, is that my shortcuts and customisations were lost.
One click to get the phone directory - gone.
One to get the projects database - gone.
One for standard documents - gone
To name but a few.

Besoeker

tonyou812 said:
I understand, I dont really need it. It was on its way to the dumpster when I saw it and grabed it from a laborer. It is a rack system unit and it retails for 850 $ I took it home and plugged it in and a day later it came back on line. And its been working fine for 2 1/2 years. Im just curious as to why the rotten egg smell?
Hydrogen sulphide maybe?

dereckbc

Staff member
tonyou812 said:
It is a rack system unit and it retails for 850 $ I took it home and plugged it in and a day later it came back on line. And its been working fine for 2 1/2 years. Im just curious as to why the rotten egg smell?

The smell is the batteries gassing, time for new ones if you inted to keep it.

The good news at this price range it is more than a Standby UPS (battery Inverter). :grin: It is either a Double Conversion type (AC-DC-AC), or Line Interactive which both are a Staic UPS. My guess, from the price, it is a Line Interactive typewhich the inverter interacts with the line AC to buck, boost, or replace incoming AC as needed to maintain voltage and conditioning.

So armed with that knowledge IMO it is worth it to replace the battery and extend the service life of the UPS. It is a very good one.

dereckbc

Staff member
iwire said:

Bob if the UPS cost in the $850 range it is a Static Type UPS which is on-line all the time. Otherwise I fully agree with you Standby type UPS do no line conditioning other than a MOV stck inside which is passive.

iwire

Staff member
dereckbc said:
Bob if the UPS cost in the $850 range it is a Static Type UPS which is on-line all the time. Otherwise

I understand, that is why I said 'virtually' none.:smile:

If you want something more then an offline UPS you need to go looking specifically for it and be willing to step up and pay for it.

mxslick

tonyou812 said:

As mentioned the smell is from the batteries outgassing due to overcharging.

Replace the batteries and you're good to go.

And DON'T toss that UPS out!! If you don't want it anymore, PM me and I'll pay for you to send it to me. :grin:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
it may be double conversion.

I could be wrong but I don't think APC makes anything but standby.

I have an 850 here that I took out of service because the batteries are gone. APC wants $170, more than half the cost of a new UPS. They all usually use standard gel-cells though they may be stuck together and wired together. If I go to batteries.com I can get the two 12v/18AH batteries it uses for $35 each.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.