When did the NEC not permit sub-panels in bathrooms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently found a sub-panel in a large building and the Inspector said they were legal at one time but he didn't know when.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I own some apartments that were built in 1979 and they have the sub panel in the bathroom.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I recently found a sub-panel in a large building and the Inspector said they were legal at one time but he didn't know when.

Sub-panels in have always been legal in large buildings. :)

Sorry, had to say it.

JAP>

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't know what changes may have been made when on this topic. But as I read the 2020 NEC, if the "large building" is not related to housing, then there is no restriction to installing a panel in a bathroom. If it's an apartment building, and if each apartment has a sub panel of its own, then that sub panel cannot be in the apartment's bathroom. But if there is a bathroom in a hallway or other common space, then you can put a sub panel in that bathroom.

NOTE: The rule is not about "sub panels." It is about "overcurrent devices," which by the way, often show up in sub panels.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
I don't know what changes may have been made when on this topic. But as I read the 2020 NEC, if the "large building" is not related to housing, then there is no restriction to installing a panel in a bathroom. If it's an apartment building, and if each apartment has a sub panel of its own, then that sub panel cannot be in the apartment's bathroom. But if there is a bathroom in a hallway or other common space, then you can put a sub panel in that bathroom.

NOTE: The rule is not about "sub panels." It is about "overcurrent devices," which by the way, often show up in sub panels.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
Looked in my archives looks like it was introduced in the 1993 NEC 240-24(e)

Status
Not open for further replies.