When is a service drop not a service drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

finhead

The following question relates to a typical single family residence which has an overhead service. The utility company conductors extend from a pole in the alley behind the house to a weatherhead attached to a conduit extending up from a meter fitting on the rear of the house.

Article 100 defines service drop as "the overhead service conductors....."

The commentary in the NEC Handbook states that the term "service conductors" specifically excludes wiring on the utility side of the service point.

Therefore, if the service point is at the weatherhead the dwelling has no service drop.

Does anyone have an alternate view?

finhead

Greg

Greg

I would agree with you if the service point was at the pole, but it is at the weatherhead.

Brian

dsteves

The confusion appears to be with "Service Conductors" definition. The Handbook explains that this is a vague term and that for purposes of the Code, the term service conductors refers to the service-entrance conductors. The Service Drop connects to the Service Point, from which it is Service-Entrance conductors, as distinct from the more general Service Conductors.

Dan

iwire

Staff member
Finhead I believe you and I agree.

With the service point at the weather head the service does not have a 'service drop' to the NEC.

Those conductors are utility conductors and are not subject to the NEC, I like to think of them as invisible to the NEC.

If the service point was at the pole than you would have a set of NEC 'service drop' conductors.

dsteves

iwire said:
Finhead I believe you and I agree.

With the service point at the weather head the service does not have a 'service drop' to the NEC.

Those conductors are utility conductors and are not subject to the NEC, I like to think of them as invisible to the NEC.

If the service point was at the pole than you would have a set of NEC 'service drop' conductors.
Oddly, I agree with you on that:) . The NEC doesn't cover anything on the utility side of the splice. It looks like a matter of semantics. Maybe to add "covered by the NEC" to the end of the sentence ending with "no service drop" originally posted by finhead?

Dan

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
dsteves said:
Oddly, I agree with you on that:)

Ahhh shucks I was ready to run with this.
icon10.gif

The key to it in my mind is the 'official' location of the service point.

That should be determined by the areas utility commission.

finhead

Final Span

Final Span

As long as we are on the subject, 230.9 (B) uses the phrase "final spans" without any explanation. My guess is that the phrase refers to the conductors from the weatherhead to the point of support. Any ideas?

dsteves

finhead said:
As long as we are on the subject, 230.9 (B) uses the phrase "final spans" without any explanation. My guess is that the phrase refers to the conductors from the weatherhead to the point of support. Any ideas?
I agree, finhead. It appears to me that the final span is the section of the service entrance conductors in an overhead installation between the weatherhead and the splice to the POCO lines, and the anchorment of the neutral messenger to the building or structure.

Any thoughts on that, Bob?

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.