WHEN REPLACING PARTS DO WE NEED A EEWP ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

I was reading the posts on this safety forum and i downloaded a link to a" contractors meeting ". It mention about getting permission from the owner to do the work. Also it said that for testing and doing maintenance no eewp is required.

Question, when testing and doing maintenance on a live piece of equipment [ switchgears without arc flash survey ] they find that they need to replace a meter or relay that is not using the 480volts of the buss but a lesser voltage , do they have to deenergize or can they continue with a eewp if infeasable ? What would the hrc be the 480volt buss or the actual work being done replacing meters or relays?

Sorry for all the questios but can't really find all the anwsers in the nfpa 70e book.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I was reading the posts on this safety forum and i downloaded a link to a" contractors meeting ". It mention about getting permission from the owner to do the work. Also it said that for testing and doing maintenance no eewp is required.

Question, when testing and doing maintenance on a live piece of equipment [ switchgears without arc flash survey ] they find that they need to replace a meter or relay that is not using the 480volts of the buss but a lesser voltage , do they have to deenergize or can they continue with a eewp if infeasable ? What would the hrc be the 480volt buss or the actual work being done replacing meters or relays?

Sorry for all the questios but can't really find all the anwsers in the nfpa 70e book.
You will need full PPE4 to do any work energized. The new rules effective Jan. 1 state that unevaluated equipment automatically is at the highest HRC, actually even with the door closed! It's an effort to get people to do their surveys.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In general, other than testing and or troubleshooting, you can't do any energized work no matter what PPE you are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.