When to use Stranded insted of Solid Service bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenlantern

Is there something in the code book that states after a curtain wire size if going through any wire way that you need to use stranded wire for grounding and bonding? I did a service and used #8 solid for my bonding and grounding from my meter housing to my Panel. I was told that after a curtain wire size it needed to be stranded. But was not told what code reference to use. Any help.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've never used solid for GEC's or bonding jumpers. I've heard of guys running #6 or #4 solid but I just don't get it.

Adamjamma

if you are running in conduits, doesnt it make sense to use stranded even if you are using 16 guage wire? Much less larger sizes? So they bend in the bends rather than scratch off the insulation?

Or is there a requirement to use solid at certain sizes?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Tha main reason for not using solid, except for pools is because of what Adam wrote. The wire would have difficulty in the bends of the conduit.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
For the GEC, if you need to repair it, with solid, there may not be a compression crimp connector.
I worked in an office building once owned by the POCO, some of the lighting ckts were run in 8 AWG solid in conduit. Tough to pull out. Use stranded....

Status
Not open for further replies.