When using a cable tray to lay a single-core cable, inquire about the allowable current

plasticlove

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello, I am a Korean participating in electrical construction work in the United States. I am planning to install power cables in a cable tray, but I do not understand exactly which NEC regulations to apply.

I am planning to install a 500kcmil, 90°C rated, single-core copper cable on a cable tray. In this case, I am wondering whether I should apply Table 310.15(B)(17) or Table 310.15(B)(16)

Table 310.15(B)(17) shows the allowable ampacity for cables installed in free air, but it does not mention anything about cable tray installations. When I ask AI, it suggests referring to Table 310.15(B)(16). However, I understand that Table 310.15(B)(16) applies to the allowable ampacity for multiconductor cables.

I would appreciate it if you could clarify whether Table 310.15(B)(16) indicates the allowable ampacity for multiconductor cables as well as for single-conductor cables in steel conduits, cable trays, and cable ducts, or if it only applies to the allowable ampacity for multiconductor cables

ron

There are applicable tables in Article 392 for cabletray that will affect whether you can sue the standard ampacities in 310.15(B)(16) or the free air ratings of 310.15(B)(17).

I typically use the tables in 392 to use the amapcities in 310.15(B)(16) for simplicity.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
tables in 392 to use the amapcities in 310.15(B)(16)
Looks like free air tables are prohibited.

(1) Where conductors are installed in cable trays, the provisions of 392.80 shall apply.