Where do you draw the line ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdslotz

It looks like more of a classic sign of heroin, crack or crank addiction. I guess that could be qualified for mental illness

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Funny, for all these comments decrying snapping pictures of the interior of a residence, there have been a great number of threads such as this one which advised doing just that (including some participants in this discussion).

The pictures are sufficiently anonymous to keep the owner from being identified, that's good enough for me.

I've known perfectly sane people that live in filth, particularly animal feces. It just doesn't bother them enough to do something about it. In fact, right now I'm trying to determine if I should continue my "Febreeze-can of fury" technique or buy new flooring to get my house sold, since a prior resident allowed cats to urinate all over the livingroom and the cat's bedroom with immunity. With the swamp cooler running now in the summer, those old odors are getting revitalized and harder to mask.

That prior resident would often throw a paper towel over vomit or feces in the house, with the intention of getting to them after they had dried. She was, to my reckoning, perfectly sane and capable of cleaning the mess. Her current residence also boasts the odor of her beloved critters.

I'd do the job shown in the OP, but I'd sure be complaining to you guys about having to do it, same as Phil. :)

I do think it is a violation of privacy to call the cops if someone is living in their animal's filth. I treat it as none of my business. If a human is tied and gagged in the basement with their feet soaking in a bucket of gasoline, then of course I would get involved. A lady who's too lazy to pick up or let out their animals is below my radar, IMO. That's where I draw the line.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sadly, I found out today (through the plumbing contractor) that the parents of the girl who lives there had purchased the house for her last year. They were very apologetic to all the contractors who worked there for the awful condition the house was in. To make matters worse they had to put their daughter in the hospital over the weekend. Turns out she's an alcoholic. Not sure if she injured herself or in for detox. Didn't ask but it helps explain the condition of the house.

While I still don't feel badly about taking the photos, I do feel badly for this girl and her disease.

George Stolz said:
Funny, for all these comments decrying snapping pictures of the interior of a residence, there have been a great number of threads such as this one which advised doing just that (including some participants in this discussion).

The pictures are sufficiently anonymous to keep the owner from being identified, that's good enough for me.

I've known perfectly sane people that live in filth, particularly animal feces. It just doesn't bother them enough to do something about it. In fact, right now I'm trying to determine if I should continue my "Febreeze-can of fury" technique or buy new flooring to get my house sold, since a prior resident allowed cats to urinate all over the livingroom and the cat's bedroom with immunity. With the swamp cooler running now in the summer, those old odors are getting revitalized and harder to mask.

That prior resident would often throw a paper towel over vomit or feces in the house, with the intention of getting to them after they had dried. She was, to my reckoning, perfectly sane and capable of cleaning the mess. Her current residence also boasts the odor of her beloved critters.

I'd do the job shown in the OP, but I'd sure be complaining to you guys about having to do it, same as Phil. :)

I do think it is a violation of privacy to call the cops if someone is living in their animal's filth. I treat it as none of my business. If a human is tied and gagged in the basement with their feet soaking in a bucket of gasoline, then of course I would get involved. A lady who's too lazy to pick up or let out their animals is below my radar, IMO. That's where I draw the line.
George, trust me, rip put the old flooring, set a dehumidifier in the area for about a week, maybe two, then go over the sub floor with Kilz, or another primer sealer. That's about the only way to get rid of cat urine and feces smells.

As far as the taking pictures thing goes, try to keep it anonymous, don't include faces or addresses. Try to remove all identifiable marks and all liability from yourself. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.