Where else on this planet do they use the NEC or at least mostly grounded wye systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATlurker

similar to ours here in the US?

Reason for asking is I'm getting close to being an empty nester and want to pick up and travel. The trouble is, I'm too young to retire and too poor to just take months or years off to travel. I wouldn't mind at all seeing other parts of the world while working.

I'm pretty sure the US Virgin Islands use our system and Puerto Rico too but don't think job prospects are good there. I've read Panama also uses a similar system.

Where else?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Grounded Wye systems are the norm around the world, WE are the oddballs here because we use Delta power systems in some places.

But countries where they follow IEC rules have several different TYPES of grounded (Earthed) Wye systems, some of them very different from us. For the most part, those places will all use 50Hz power, so that's a quick way to vet that out. Not all places that use 60Hz are the same as us however, so don't make that assumption. But if it is 50Hz, you can safely assume they will be IEC compliant and your background knowledge will require some adjustment to work there.

Check out this list and start by eliminating all of the 50Hz places, then look carefully at the 60Hz places. You'll find only a few of those that are not the same as us.

OH, and the NEC is ONLY for us here, not even Canada and Mexico, they have their own codes, albeit so close that you can probably pick up the subtle differences fairly easy. Some other countries, or places WITHIN other countries, use the NEC because they are US operating areas, such as US compounds in Saudi Arabia etc.

fmtjfw

My research in connection with a 2017 code submission:

My research in connection with a 2017 code submission:

NEC USE:

American Samoa
Belize
Bermuda
British Virgin Islands
Columbia
Costa Rico
Dominican Republic
Equador
Guam
Mexico (2008 Spanish edition)
Panama
Peru
Puerto Rico
Saudi Arabia
USA
US Virgin Islands
Venezuela

US Military installations most anywhere?

Take this all with a grain of salt -- it was from data off the Internet

Saturn_Europa

Occupation
Electrician Limited License NC
similar to ours here in the US?

Reason for asking is I'm getting close to being an empty nester and want to pick up and travel. The trouble is, I'm too young to retire and too poor to just take months or years off to travel. I wouldn't mind at all seeing other parts of the world while working.

I'm pretty sure the US Virgin Islands use our system and Puerto Rico too but don't think job prospects are good there. I've read Panama also uses a similar system.
G
Where else?

Check out PAE. They have a maintenance contracts for US embassies around the world.

I would recommend Russia for obvious reasons.

I am going to try to do doctor's without borders when my daughter graduates. They recruit electricians. Pay sucks about 2k a month, but it looks fun!

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
When you say grounded wye do you mean utility distribution or 600 volts and under? I assumed utility systems because wye grounded 600 volts and under is used on every country on earth.

Calrissian45

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you get a permanent job with NAVFAC then you can apply for temporary positions overseas that last for 1 to 5 years.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.