Where is the Submit a Public Input for the Next Edition link shown for the next edition NFPA 70 - NEC 2026?

shortcircuit2

I think the deadline should be longer. The 2023 only hit the streets 9-months ago and here in Mass we have been using it for 7-months. Not many other States are using 2023 so many in the industry really don't even know what is in the 2023. But I get it...the process for reviewing over 4000 PI's takes time.

I drafted my 1st 2026 PI in early August 2023 (last month) and was assigned a number in the low 2000's...and then did another yesterday and was assigned a number in the mid 4000's

So over 1/2 of the 2026 PI's came in in the last month...the system was running really slow yesterday afternoon:)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think the deadline should be longer. The 2023 only hit the streets 9-months ago and here in Mass we have been using it for 7-months. Not many other States are using 2023 so many in the industry really don't even know what is in the 2023. But I get it...the process for reviewing over 4000 PI's takes time.

I drafted my 1st 2026 PI in early August 2023 (last month) and was assigned a number in the low 2000's...and then did another yesterday and was assigned a number in the mid 4000's

So over 1/2 of the 2026 PI's came in in the last month...the system was running really slow yesterday afternoon:)
Over 900 came in between 1pm on Wednesday and the final deadline. A lot of PIs are submitted by members of organizations, and they are evaluated by the organization before the actual submittal. Those are often submitted in the last few days.

As far as the length of time, the process is a long one. Between now and Jan, the panels will start evaluating the PIs in preparation for the First draft meetings. Those will result in simple majority votes, and anything that gets a simple majority will be formally balloted with a 2/3 majority required for the PI to make it in the first draft.

The time I think needs to be longer is the time for comments. The first draft is to post on July 10, 2024 will all comments due August 28, 2024. The second draft will be published March 21, 2025, and you only have until April 18, 2025 to file a Notice of Intent to Make a Motion (NITMAM) so the issue can be debated at the June 2025 annual NFPA meeting.

Pedro Roman

Occupation
Solar QA Inspector
The deadline has been 5pm on the closing day for decades. The did not make any changes for the electronic process.
I’m a rookie with the process, this was the first time I was going to submit a PI.

In the upcoming stages, is there a chance I can still submit my PI?

I’m eager to get involved and contribute.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I’m a rookie with the process, this was the first time I was going to submit a PI.

In the upcoming stages, is there a chance I can still submit my PI?

I’m eager to get involved and contribute.
No more PIs, the next opportunity for public to do something is the comment stage, however no new material can be introduced at the comment stage. You can make comment on the PIs that became first revisions, and on the PIs that were "resolved" (rejected). There have been cases where the first revision change has been rejected in the Second Revision Report and the opposite is also true, a resolved PI could show up as a Second Revision.
The first revisions are easy to work with as they show up in the First Draft Report. The resolved PIs, you have to go through the First Draft Report and click on "PI" above the code section. Below is a screen shot from the 2023 First Revision Report. Circled in red are what you would click on to see the resolved PIs for that section. The FR is circled in green and clicking on that will let you look at the panel action, comments, and the PI that resulted in the first revision change. Circled in blue is a first revision change with the new text shown with underlines. If the FR deleted text, that will be show with a strike through.
FR screen shot.jpg

Pedro Roman

Occupation
Solar QA Inspector
No more PIs, the next opportunity for public to do something is the comment stage, however no new material can be introduced at the comment stage. You can make comment on the PIs that became first revisions, and on the PIs that were "resolved" (rejected). There have been cases where the first revision change has been rejected in the Second Revision Report and the opposite is also true, a resolved PI could show up as a Second Revision.
The first revisions are easy to work with as they show up in the First Draft Report. The resolved PIs, you have to go through the First Draft Report and click on "PI" above the code section. Below is a screen shot from the 2023 First Revision Report. Circled in red are what you would click on to see the resolved PIs for that section. The FR is circled in green and clicking on that will let you look at the panel action, comments, and the PI that resulted in the first revision change. Circled in blue is a first revision change with the new text shown with underlines. If the FR deleted text, that will be show with a strike through.
View attachment 2567374
Thank you for taking the time to explain all of this in detail. If I have any questions later on I will contact you.
Thank you very much for everything, I am very grateful.
Have a nice weekend!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You can now view all of the PIs one at a time at the same location where you made the PI, or you can download all of them on the next edition page at nfpa.org/70. There are 18 downloads...one for each code making panel.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
You can now view all of the PIs one at a time at the same location where you made the PI, or you can download all of them on the next edition page at nfpa.org/70. There are 18 downloads...one for each code making panel.

I have always respected your responses to code questions, which have always been to the point, without antidotal comments. Please keep up the good work you are doing.