Where to install solar breaker

ccpanel

Occupation
Apprentice electrician
Have setup thusly;
power meter
eaton 6 space feedthru 200A panel with 200a buss bar
older CH main panel with all of house circuits

Which end of eaton panel do i install the 40A breaker for solar?
line end?
feedthru end?

normally with a deadhead panel its at teh bottom but in this case, the bottom feeds out to the main 20+space p200a panel with all house circuits.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What code cycle?
The rules on feed through-lugs have changed slightly between 2017, 2020, and 2023.
However you almost certainly need to protect the panel at the other end of the feed through conductors, with a breaker or fused disconnect somewhere in between.

See some recent related threads:

ccpanel

Occupation
Apprentice electrician
the feedthru dumps right directly out of feedthru lugs straight into the top of the existing main panel. theres no room to add any breaker/disconnect between feedthru and main panel. the main panel also never had any main breaker.(dumb idiots who installed originally in 198x put in a main panel with no main breaker...) this was the point of the feedthru panel to create a main breaker for the ability to shut off main panel as needed.

meter~200a eaton main breaker~6 lug panel~feedthru lugs~200a house panel with all breakers

does the 40 breaker for solar go at the feedthru lug end(bottom) or the meter(top) end of the panel?

This jurisdiction has zero code in play-its a zero code area. I cant care about code as there are no inspectors available for this location-I just want to make sure its done correctly.
The main panel is only protected by the 200a at the head. the feedthru lugs feed copper wires that are less than a foot long going out of FT lugs straight into top of original CH main panel. I forget size of copper. its bigger than 200A rated though. 3/0 maybe

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
does the 40 breaker for solar go at the feedthru lug end(bottom) or the meter(top) end of the panel?
Given your description, it should go as far from the 200A main breaker as possible. I.e. in the second panel, the one you called "200A house panel with all breakers," and at the opposite end of the bus from the conductors supplying it.

That is, since the two panels (6 lug panel and house panel) are right next to each other, just think of the 6 lug panel bus, the feed-thru conductors and the house panel bus as being one large panel with one long bus.

Cheers, Wayne