Where to NOT use AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlnk

Per 2014 NEC, It is my understanding that AFCI shall not be used for:
fire/smoke detection, burglar alarms that have a central control station.
power for a fire alarm (if its power supply is in metal conduit)
snow and ice melting equipment.

Also, I think AFCI protection is optional for the following:

Any outlet that is GFCI protected.
An outlet in kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, garage, that is not GFCI protected. Such as lighting, vent fans, garbage disposal, gas range, DW, trash compactor, instant hot water.
unfinished rooms , such as attic or basement,
fau circuit

Is this accurate?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
GFCI protection has no relationship to where an AFCI is needed. Whether a circuit or an outlet is gfci protected has no bearing on whether an afci is needed. In the 2014 afci is needed almost everywhere except bathrooms and unfinished basements.

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection. Arcfault
circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required
in 210.12(A) (B), and (C). The arc-fault circuit interrupter
shall be installed in a readily accessible location.
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed
in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining
rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms,
sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas,
or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of
the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Also smoke detector are different than fire alarms.
Smoke alarms are stand alone devices, or devices that can be interconnected without an control panel. The provide both detection and alarm functions.

Smoke detectors must be used with a fire alarm control panel and only provide detection. Article 760 applies to these devices, but does not apply to smoke alarms.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
So where does "similar rooms " come into play?

I have heard some on the 2011 nec claim kitchen is included.

kwired

Electron manager
Per 2014 NEC, It is my understanding that AFCI shall not be used for:
fire/smoke detection, burglar alarms that have a central control station.
power for a fire alarm (if its power supply is in metal conduit)
snow and ice melting equipment.

Also, I think AFCI protection is optional for the following:

Any outlet that is GFCI protected.
An outlet in kitchen, laundry room, bathroom, garage, that is not GFCI protected. Such as lighting, vent fans, garbage disposal, gas range, DW, trash compactor, instant hot water.
unfinished rooms , such as attic or basement,
fau circuit

Is this accurate?
Have you read 210.12?

Most of what you think is optional is required in 2014. Of the items you did mention, the bathroom, garage, attic, or unfinished basement are not required (in general) there can be a few circumstances where a particular circuit may still need protected.

The lighting, vent fans, disposal, gas range, dishwasher, compactor or insta hot - most of those items are designed for 15 or 20 amp 120 volt circuit. If it is 15 or 20 amps 120 volts (doesn't matter if cord and plug or hard wired equipment - 15/20 amps and 120 volts is the trigger for requirements) and in the rooms mentioned in 210.12 - there is no choice, AFCI protection must be provided, how it gets provided gets a little more complex then it used to be, but in general for new construction/new circuits it is still generally going to be a combination type AFCI circuit breaker at the origin of the branch circuit.

cad99

How about Exterior gfci outlets do they need a afci protection?

Living the dream one nightmare at a time.

kwired

Electron manager
How about Exterior gfci outlets do they need a afci protection?

That location is not mentioned in 210.12

GFCI is required but means nothing in regard to AFCI requirements.

If said outlets are also connected to a circuit that has outlets that require AFCI protection - then they will still be protected anyway as the requirement is to protect the entire circuit - with some exceptions when dealing with existing installations, but new circuits - the entire circuit needs protected if supplying any outlets in areas mentioned in 210.12.

So outside receptacle taken off a living room circuit - will have protection because the living room is required to have protection.

cad99

Where to NOT use AFCI

I get your point but where I am from we have to put exterior recpts on a dedicated circuit. I don't see the article covering a exterior outlet. Or is it the viewpoint of what room or wall space the outward facing box is in. Right now where I live we have 2014 cycle in part with 2011 afci locations. Trying to learn how it is everywhere else.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I get your point but where I am from we have to put exterior recpts on a dedicated circuit. I don't see the article covering a exterior outlet. Or is it the viewpoint of what room or wall space the outward facing box is in.

It is based on the room the outlet is in. Outdoor outlets are not required to have AFCI protection. However 2014 added "or devices" after "outlets" in 210.12(A), so if the outdoor outlet is controlled by a switch inside in a room mentioned in 210.12(A), then that switch requires AFCI protection and subsequently the outlet will have protection as well.

For an outdoor outlet that is run from the panel to the outdoor outlet with no other devices in between AFCI is not required.

cad99

It is based on the room the outlet is in. Outdoor outlets are not required to have AFCI protection. However 2014 added "or devices" after "outlets" in 210.12(A), so if the outdoor outlet is controlled by a switch inside in a room mentioned in 210.12(A), then that switch requires AFCI protection and subsequently the outlet will have protection as well.

For an outdoor outlet that is run from the panel to the outdoor outlet with no other devices in between AFCI is not required.

thank you

mlnk

So to summarize what I have learned since posting:

In the NEC 2014, AFCI protection is NOT required:

1. On exterior outlets if they are feed directly from a panel or from a non required area.
2. FAU circuit.
3. 240 volt outlets.
4. fire alarm or fire communication equipment for a fire sprinkler system.
5. snow and ice melting equipment circuit.
6. circuit that powers a control center for a burglar alarm system which can also have smoke and fire detection included.
7. outlets in a utility room that is not a laundry room.
8. outlets in swimming pool equipment rooms.
9. outlets in exterior sheds
10. agricultural buildings.
11 garage

kwired

Electron manager
So to summarize what I have learned since posting:

In the NEC 2014, AFCI protection is NOT required:

1. On exterior outlets if they are feed directly from a panel or from a non required area.
2. FAU circuit.
3. 240 volt outlets.
4. fire alarm or fire communication equipment for a fire sprinkler system.
5. snow and ice melting equipment circuit.
6. circuit that powers a control center for a burglar alarm system which can also have smoke and fire detection included.
7. outlets in a utility room that is not a laundry room.
8. outlets in swimming pool equipment rooms.
9. outlets in exterior sheds
10. agricultural buildings.
11 garage

FAU (assume this means forced air unit) still needs AFCI if it is 15 or 20 amp 120 volt circuit and is in one of the rooms mentioned in 210.12. If it is in a "utility room" then it wouln't need AFCI protection. Many areas will require such units to be in a utility room or some sort in accordance with other codes but not all areas will. Though maybe would be pretty rare, I suppose snow and ice melting equipment would also need protection if they were to be located in a room mentioned in 210.12. Possibly more common would be a switch located indoors in a room mentioned in 210.12 that controlled outdoor snow and ice melting equipment - that switch would need to have AFCI protection if the circuit were 15/20 amp 120 volts.

mlnk

Can we agree that afci protection is not required in bathrooms?

I will add bathrooms to my list
But I am wondering if an fau is located in a utility closet, and the door to it is located in a hallway ...does that mean the fau is in the hallway?
The instructions for some ice melting equipment say no AFCI and no standard GFCI, only a special industrial type Ground fault protection.
I think these instructions would trump the switch being located in a laundry or kitchen.
Also, the alarm system can be located in any room and must not be on an AFCI.

kwired

Electron manager
I will add bathrooms to my list
But I am wondering if an fau is located in a utility closet, and the door to it is located in a hallway ...does that mean the fau is in the hallway?
The instructions for some ice melting equipment say no AFCI and no standard GFCI, only a special industrial type Ground fault protection.
I think these instructions would trump the switch being located in a laundry or kitchen.
Also, the alarm system can be located in any room and must not be on an AFCI.

Depending on type of FAU it may need to be in a space that has a fire rating - especially if it has gas fired heat ex-changer inside of it. I think that situation would definitely put it "outside" the hallway.

Can't say what the rule would be for the ice melting equipment, the issue is mostly only present though if you put a switch controlling the equipment in an area that otherwise needs AFCI protection - this can be avoided with relays, contactors, etc. as a control method though, I wouldn't call the GF protection specified as a special industrial type though - it is typically same basic thing as GFCI protection - just with a 30 milliamp trip threshold instead of 4-6 milliamps.

Alarm systems - are typically on a dedicated circuit or even required to be on dedicated circuits, and are not too likely to have any switch or other device in the line besides a general "disconnecting means" on or within sight of the main control cabinet.

mwm1752

GFCI protection has no relationship to where an AFCI is needed. Whether a circuit or an outlet is gfci protected has no bearing on whether an afci is needed. In the 2014 afci is needed almost everywhere except bathrooms and unfinished basements.

I'd include mechanical rooms & garages too for no AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.