Where to place recessed lights on an island that has a kitchen sink ?

tina55

New User
Occupation
Reitred
Hi! My kitchen island is 2650m (8'8"). I am unsure where to place the recessed lights as good task lighting is needed as the sink is housed here and it shall be a prep area for cooking. I would like to have recessed lights and possibly either pendent or ceiling mounted spot lights. They would each have their own power point & dimmer. Your suggestion(s) would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Tina, welcome to the forum.

Is the island a straight rectangle? If so, you probably just need three or four in a straight line.

You can ignore work areas and use even spacing, or center one or two over each work area.

This tends to be a visual decision, so it's difficult to give advice without being there to see it.

kwired

Electron manager
Depends on light characteristics.

Most general use type you probably need minimum of two luminaires. If you have some pinhole type luminaire they will have a narrow beam pattern and that would require more luminaires.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
On our island, we put pendant lights approximately 2 feet from the likely edge to work, as well as 1.5 feet from each side. So, 6 foot square island, but one main work side, 3 foot between them. SWMBO is very happy w/ them.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I like to use recessed spot gimbals over an island. It keeps the light beam narrow so you aren't lighting the whole room. And the gimbals are adjustable so you can just get your lighting close and then direct it where you want after you install trims