where to use uf cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Use can use UF to wire outlets, but it cannot be exposed to physical damage. If your plan was to run UF exposed on the side of the building, that's a no go.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can i use uf cable if i need to run 125'of cable with 6 outlets on the side of a building or do i need to use conduit
Gives us more details as how you plan on running it. If not subject to physical damage it may be permitted on the side of the building. SE cable is run exposed on the sides of buildings everywhere around here.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Protection from damage will be an authority's having jurisdiction call so you may want to run it buy them first

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
UF cable is time consuming to strip, and strap, will never look good.
Consider using pvc conduit and thhw. With pvc don't run straight between boxes, 90 up to each box to accomdiate expansion.

king dave

Occupation
electrician
If I don't care about aesthetics is it code compliant to run uf cable stapled to a wall or is it at least safe?

king dave

Occupation
electrician
I'm at a job that has a bunch of trailers and all the electric is stapled to the exterior walls

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Subject to physical damage is vague and ends up being a local inspection call.

It seems pretty common that 'exposed on a flat surface' is not allowed, but exposed protected in crevices is ok.

Depending upon the situation and the potential source of physical damage, a wood furring strip might be sufficient protection for UF on a wall, not covering it (nails) but simply next to it.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.