Which footing

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Because of distance I am not able to wire daughters new house and must keep mouth shut unless directly asked. That is really hard. On recent visit I noticed no concrete encased electrode conductor exiting the perimiter footings. As the tour progressed my SIL, who is a GC and the builder, explained that the Service panel would be on an interior basement wall and the rebar ground would be made in that walls footing. As long as the rebar is 20' in length and sized properly, I can not find a violation although I would have preferred it made on the perimeter footings. Comments?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The only issue I could see if this was in my state, is a lot of discussion to get the service disconnect approved in the basement. Around here, it's darn-near outside or bust.

In the 2008, the rebar in the basement wall will likely be considered a CEE in it's own right, according to the language from the ROC:

2008 250.52(A)(3) Concrete-Encased Electrode. An electrode encased by at least 50 mm (2in.) of concrete, located horizontally near the bottom or vertically and within that portion of a concrete foundation or footing that is in direct contact with the earth, consisting of at least 6.0 m 220 ft) of one or more bare or zinc galvanized or other electrically conductive coated steel reinforcing bars or rods of not less than 13 mm (1/2 in.) in diameter, or consisting of at least 6.0 m (20 ft) of bare copper conductor not smaller than 4 AWG. Reinforcing bars shall be permitted to be bonded together by the usual steel tie wires or other effective means. Where multiple concrete-encased electrodes are present at a building or structure, it shall be permissible to bond only one into the grounding electrode system.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
ptonsparky said:
I have to assume the service will be in conduit under the basement floor until it stubbs up for the Service Equipment. It would not fly otherwise.

I doubt that.

If it's a service lat the conduit will likely run underground and pop up outside into a meter socket then from the meter socket cable or conduit into the basement trough the rim joists and down into the service panel.

Few power companies allow a meter inside a single family home.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
ptonsparky said:
I hope those "at least 6.0 m (220 ft) " are typos of some sort or my math is failing me.
LOL :D

Yeah, the text is so small on the ROP/ROCs that when it's copied and pasted, some of the characters get duplicated. I've corrected the quote above. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.