Which nec article applies

Status
Not open for further replies.

codequestion

Banned
I am confused in this situation which nec articles apply:

I have tall floating structures supporting canopy in harbor water. The canopy will have lights, boat hoists motors with disconnect fed from 120/240V single phase service equipment. Under the canopy are piers, docking stations for boats with power receptacles also fed by same service equipment but different feeder breakers.

I am thinking the piers and docking station in water would be under nec 555 and the floating structures and canopy would be nec 682 since electrical installation would be in naturally body of water.

If not then which article would apply to canopy and floating structures?

Any thoughts or help appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Article 553 is for floating buildings

Floating Building. A building unit, as defined in Article 100,
that floats on water, is moored in a permanent location, and
has a premises wiring system served through connection by
permanent wiring to an electrical supply system not located on
the premises.

kwired

Electron manager
I think all three sections mentioned can possibly apply. I also think that common content from all three is going to be pretty consistent.

I think there can be a lot that applies to the OP that isn't addressed in 553 or 682 but is covered in 555.

Take a look at 553.1 - "This article covers wiring, services, feeders, and grounding for floating buildings"

Services feeders and grounding requirements are pretty much the same in 555.

682.1 says it covers all bodies of water not covered elsewhere in code. I'd say that means 555 applies before 682 does for OP's application.

Status
Not open for further replies.