which NUCC materials are approved for Article 354

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinan

In the 2004 Electrical Code, Article 354 there is a description of underground nonmetalic conduit (NUCC). I would like to know which plastic materials are approved for the type. I am interested in not using PVC and
instead using other plastics (polyethylene etc).

cselectric

Re: which NUCC materials are approved for Article 354

I see no specific prohibition of any thermoplastic material, nor any specific requirement of material type. The question here is not what code allows, but what is available in the marketplace. And that is a question for the manufacturer or distributor to answer. I would suggest discussing this with a licensed electrical contractor who has experience with this type of installation (NUCC isn't exactly common, at least not in this part of the world.)

Just out of curiosity, what is your objection to PVC?

[ September 02, 2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: cselectric ]

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

It looks like NUCC is a flexible, pre-wired conduit, like MC or AC, except in a smooth-wall tube. The tubing material itself isn't specified.

As CS said, it comes made the way it comes made, so your question should be directed to the manufacturer(s), as advised.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

NUCC is the same conduit as HDPE, art 353, except NUCC has conductors. Article 353 was added to 05 NEC, but technically HDPE is an art 352 wiring method.
HPDE and NUCC have been used by utilites for years, outside and underground. Neither are approved for use inside buildings.
A really awsome NM product is fiberglass. strong, easy to pull thru, its much better than PVC.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

And I forgot to add Carlon makes HDPE. HDPE can only be HDPE, otherwise its an Art 352 product. HDPE is the same product cutting boards and milk jugs are made from. In the nuclear industry its used for reactor shielding, as its absorbs neutrons. HDPE is also used for water and gas applications.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

High-Density Poly-Ethylene, if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.