Which ones???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky723

:confused: I am about to purchase an '08 codebook and after much thought on my part and input from the forum members, I am going to buy a spiralbound codebook and highlight it myself..
My question to everybody is: What would YOU highlight in the codebook?

and

Do you feel there is a strategic way to set up your tabs to help speed things up in an exam?

Let me know what ya'll think.
I understand that everyone likes to read a code,test, or field question where they can impart there extensive electrical knowledge, but I would appreciate it GREATLY if as many of you could please give me as much feedback on this as possible. Thank you for your time...sparky723:D

wirebender

Yes, the tabs are indispensable.

In addition, I highlight mine like this:

POST.png

IMO, every heading being in bold black type makes it hard to pick out what I am looking for so I highlight in different colors:

Sections (I,II,III etc.) in one color.
Articles (324.6 etc.) in another
Capital letters [(A) Branch Circuits, (B) Branch-Circuit Ratings, etc.] in another
Numbers [(1) Voltage, (2) Current, etc.] in another

and so on and so forth.

This really speeds up looking things up, especially during and exam.

In the example, for instance, if I am looking for Section III, I know at a glance that it is not on this page since the only blue highlight is Section II.
My eyes don't have to scan everything in bold black.

Paul B

You had better check, around here we are allowed to have anything highlighted or tabbed when taking the exam.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
sparky723 said:
My question to everybody is: What would YOU highlight in the codebook?
Back before I drove him into silence, Pierre posted a very good method for highlighting your personal codebook to familiarize yourself better with the NEC, which you can find here. You can PM him for more info, he's on almost daily. :)

Do you feel there is a strategic way to set up your tabs to help speed things up in an exam?
Are you sure you can use your own codebook for the test? Around here they supply (unmarked up) books for the exam.

wirebender

Paul B said:
You had better check, around here we are allowed to have anything highlighted or tabbed when taking the exam.

Texas uses ICC Exams.

From the ICC website:

9. Examinees are allowed to bring/use only approved references. References must be in their
original forms; however, notes written in ink in the code sections, highlighted code sections, and
permanent tabs are allowed.

mdshunk

One other good way to study is with training material on audio CD if you get a lot of "windshield time" on your job, or on your way to and from work.

NEC2008Fran.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.