Which rules/laws in the construction industry....

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

are ok to ignore and/or break?

licensing? prevailing wage? general labor law?

it seems that everyone is ok with breaking some laws, but where is the line for you?

unlicensed, illegal sidework ok? but you better pay for travel time?

what laws do you feel are not applicable and what laws will you fight tooth and nail to defend?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm a dinosaur and an inspector (and I'm sure in my kids eyes "a fuddy-duddy"). I seldom break any rules/laws.
Even pay my taxes corrrectly.

mivey

As for me, I usually{a hand covers my microphone and a voice is heard chiming in: "my client has no comment at this time"}

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Notice to everyone; at the first sign that this thread is heading south it will be removed, keep it to a clean discussion.

Thanks

Roger

emahler

i'll admit, this was prompted by a thread that appears to hae been deleted....i'm just curious where the line is...it kind of relates to my "sacred cow" post from awhile back....i'm interested in why guys feel justified in ignoring certain rules and/or laws....it's truly fascinating....

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
emahler said:
i'll admit, this was prompted by a thread that appears to hae been deleted....i'm just curious where the line is...it kind of relates to my "sacred cow" post from awhile back....i'm interested in why guys feel justified in ignoring certain rules and/or laws....it's truly fascinating....
I think I know which thread you are referring to. It must have taken a serious dive after I last looked at it. Too bad, because it was exploring important issues.

As for what rules and laws to follow, I think all of them should be followed. I don't think that in most cases it is any of our responsibility to enforce penny ante rules, especially if doing it primarily to enhance our own financial positions.

If a violation of a rule resulted in an actual imminent danger to someone, that would be a rare and unusual case where you might be morally obliged to rat out someone over such a rule violation.

L

Lxnxjxhx

rules

rules

In Catch 22, Yossarian doesn't want to follow the Army rules, regulations, commands, etc., etc..
The major was not happy about this and said, "What if everybody felt that way and didn't follow the rules?"
Y:"Then I'd be a fool if I followed the rules."

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Any rule or law that appears "OK not to obey" should be obeyed during the time it takes to get it changed {Homeland Security people who had been approaching my door now suddenly nod, and walk away, seeking to intercept other transgressors}.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The funny thing about rules and laws is how and when we feel they apply to us.

Here in this town it is very common for the first people that move into a new housing tract to call the cops and complain about all of the dirt trucks and contactor trucks speeding through their neighborhood. So the police will set up there and write tickets for a few weeks, funny thing is about half of the tickets they write are to the people who live in the tract, many saying they were one of the ones that called. That is the "it's ok for me, but I don't want you doing it" mentallity.

Driving up the on ramp as far as you can and then some to get on to a backed up freeway, because whatever it is you have to do must be more important than any of the other people on that freeway that are in your way.

We've had people not pull a permit and then call us to complain that they think the contractor overcharged them.

Follow the NEC to the letter and pull a permit because I'm a great guy and then drive down the freeway at 80 MPH, cutting in and out of traffic because I have jobs to get to.

Tap your brakes at a stop sign because nobody's coming, not reporting a tip that a customer gave you, "I can pull a couple more wires in that conduit", not stopping at an accident you witnessed because you don't have the time, "but your honor, he needed killin".

It's just to what level you break a law or rule and to what level your mind can justify it.

OK that's enough ranting this morning.:smile:

satcom

cowboyjwc said:
The funny thing about rules and laws is how and when we feel they apply to us.

Here in this town it is very common for the first people that move into a new housing tract to call the cops and complain about all of the dirt trucks and contactor trucks speeding through their neighborhood. So the police will set up there and write tickets for a few weeks, funny thing is about half of the tickets they write are to the people who live in the tract, many saying they were one of the ones that called. That is the "it's ok for me, but I don't want you doing it" mentallity.

Driving up the on ramp as far as you can and then some to get on to a backed up freeway, because whatever it is you have to do must be more important than any of the other people on that freeway that are in your way.

We've had people not pull a permit and then call us to complain that they think the contractor overcharged them.

Follow the NEC to the letter and pull a permit because I'm a great guy and then drive down the freeway at 80 MPH, cutting in and out of traffic because I have jobs to get to.

Tap your brakes at a stop sign because nobody's coming, not reporting a tip that a customer gave you, "I can pull a couple more wires in that conduit", not stopping at an accident you witnessed because you don't have the time, "but your honor, he needed killin".

It's just to what level you break a law or rule and to what level your mind can justify it.

OK that's enough ranting this morning.:smile:

John,

Thank you for bringing some laughter to my lunch time.

You hit it right on the head, comming back from the other end of town this morning, i see the unmarked drug bust car pulled over in the bank parking lot, he was writing a ticket, when i pulled in to get fuel, the officer from the morning stop, pulled in and was talking to the station owner, it seems the lady ring leader of the condo assn, was caught speeding, on the very road she complained to the police about! suddenly the laws are not fair.

nakulak

I try not to break the laws of physics and gravity (although some still insist on referring to these as theorems). Unfortuntely, the laws of physics and gravity have no such benevolent nature, and have been known to unceremoniously break me.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My goal every morning is to follow all the rules all day long. I usually don't make it past about 8:00 am. Short of 1st degree murder, rape or child molestation, I've broken almost every law I am aware of at one time or another. I'm not proud of any of it but I do decide continuously which laws are important and which are less so.

If I leave a conduit KO unclosed on a constrution temp power pole for a month I have violated an NEC rule but I don't loose much sleep.

If I do a California Roll at a stop sign where there are clearly no other cars approaching I don't loose much sleep.

Now here is where it gets a bit tough. I've had two beers after work and am feeling "relaxed". A good restaurant customer calls and needs service right away. Now what? Am I legal? Safe? Am I capable of making that determination? Sad to say I've taken those calls and done the job. This thread does us all a bit of good I think.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
bkludecke said:
My goal every morning is to follow all the rules all day long. I usually don't make it past about 8:00 am. Short of 1st degree murder, rape or child molestation, I've broken almost every law I am aware of at one time or another. I'm not proud of any of it but I do decide continuously which laws are important and which are less so.

If I leave a conduit KO unclosed on a constrution temp power pole for a month I have violated an NEC rule but I don't loose much sleep.

If I do a California Roll at a stop sign where there are clearly no other cars approaching I don't loose much sleep.

Now here is where it gets a bit tough. I've had two beers after work and am feeling "relaxed". A good restaurant customer calls and needs service right away. Now what? Am I legal? Safe? Am I capable of making that determination? Sad to say I've taken those calls and done the job. This thread does us all a bit of good I think.

Remember Bob, that the Ten Commandments are not a to do list.:D

macmikeman

Yes its true.... I break the rules of spelling , grammer, and sensible comedy just about every time I sit down here. :rolleyes: And I got a post removed from another forum recently for political;)

LawnGuyLandSparky

the-bait.jpg

billsnuff

Lgls

Lgls

reminds me of the feller who used to dynamite all his fish and the frustrated warden who couldn't catch him. one day the warden asked the guy if he could go fishing with him. he said sure. when the boat stopped at the fishing hole the guy got out a stick of dynamite and the warden says that its illegal. the guy lites the dynamite and says, did you come here to fish or talk.
:D :D

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
ee4fire said:
What rules you want to break is dependent on how much trouble you want to get into.
I am sure that is true for some people, but most of us want to obey the rules, but a lot of times it is near impossible. Government at all levels and other entities have created so many laws and rules, most of which the vast majority of people don't even know about, that we often unknowingly break rules, most of us probably break many rules every day, and don't realize it.

The best you can do is make an attempt to know what rules apply to you, attempt to follow them, and act in a moral and ethical way, as best you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.