Whirlpool bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Mike-- tell us more. Why is this a problem & is this a Hot Tub or hydromassage? Was that bond lug added and not part of the manufacturers setup?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Sorry if the picture is not clear.

The 'bond' is in the upper left of the picture. Left of the green screw.

The water clamp is attached to the 'plastic' frame.

raider1

Staff member
What is the bonding conductor attached to on the other end?

If this is a hydromassage bathtub there is a good chance that there is no bonding required.

Chris

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It would not surprise me one bit if an inspector told someone the frame of the motor had to be grounded and that someone just did it.

I have also seen a case where a plastic piping system had a ground wire run out to it but there was no place to connect it so someone just tie wrapped it to the plastic pipe to keep it tidy. Or maybe they just had a sense of humor.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
What is the bonding conductor attached to on the other end?

If this is a hydromassage bathtub there is a good chance that there is no bonding required.

Chris

A #6 bare was run to the panel.

Specs were not on site. Since the bond was run I saw no need to ask for the specs.

I was doing the construction inspection for the buyer not acting as the AHJ.

raider1

Staff member
A #6 bare was run to the panel.

Specs were not on site. Since the bond was run I saw no need to ask for the specs.

I was doing the construction inspection for the buyer not acting as the AHJ.

Running a #6 bare from a hydromassage bathtub bonding lug to the panelboard is an absolute waste of time and money. 680.74 specifically states that the bonding jumper shall not be required to extend or attach to any remote panelboard.

The lug on the hydromassage bathtub is there for equipotential bonding in the area of the tub.

Chris

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Running a #6 bare from a hydromassage bathtub bonding lug to the panelboard is an absolute waste of time and money. 680.74 specifically states that the bonding jumper shall not be required to extend or attach to any remote panelboard.

The lug on the hydromassage bathtub is there for equipotential bonding in the area of the tub.

Chris

Agreed. My only concern was 'since' the 'bond' was there it should be connect correctly.

hurk27

If the bond isn't require (plastic water pipes) then the bonding conductor could have been left unconnected and push aside, but if there was metal piping then there should have been a bond from the proper lug on the motor to the metal piping. (680.74)

My call would be put it to the metal water pipes and call it an extra water bond, then install the proper bond to the motor.

To the correct lug of course:roll:

Last edited:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
If the bond isn't require (plastic water pipes) then the bonding conductor could have been left unconnected and push aside, but if there was metal piping then there should have been a bond from the proper lug on the motor to the metal piping. (680.74)

My call would be put it to the metal water pipes and call it an extra water bond, then install the proper bond to the motor.

To the correct lug of course:roll:

So if the bond was not required would 'bonding' the plastic be a violation?

ericsherman37

I don't see why it would be. You could bond every sheetrock screw in your house if you wanted to as long as you satisfy all the bonding requirements that are pertinent to the job.

However, maybe there would be an issue with failing to comply with manufacturer's specs. I mean, if they installed a bonding terminal and wrote an instruction manual that told you what to do with it, and you didn't, I could see that being a violation perhaps.

Unless I'm wrong :p

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why would that be a violation Mike. It is totally crazy to think some one did this but it would take one minute to move the wire to the lug and be done with it. You cannot turn someone down for bonding plastic.

raider1

Staff member
Why would that be a violation Mike. It is totally crazy to think some one did this but it would take one minute to move the wire to the lug and be done with it. You cannot turn someone down for bonding plastic.

Agreed, if there were no bonding required in accordance with 680.74 and someone decided to bond the plastic frame of a pump to a panel I would laugh and move on, no violation.:)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.