White residue on circuit board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I was installing this lighting controller today and noticed this stuff between the relays. I'm firing off an E-mail no to the supplier but was wondering if anyone has seen this before. (BTW Intermatic product)

Thank you.

DSCN2118.jpg

DSCN2115.jpg

cadpoint

They didn't clean from up the bathe of the circuit board completly, is my guess.

Electronic boards can be floated across a bath of lead the flux is layed down as a bead and your seeing a spead from the inter-exchange of molten and flux.

chris kennedy

Occupation
They didn't clean from up the bathe of the circuit board completly, is my guess.

Electronic boards can be floated across a bath of lead the flux is layed down as a bead and your seeing a spead from the inter-exchange of molten and flux.

Thats what I figured Jude but I don't want to energize this until I'm sure I won't short something out.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
We always do the opposite. Put the power to it, check for smoke, then see if it actually works the way it's intended.

:D

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There is a contact cleaner that I used once that left a residue like that. I didn't like it and found out it actually had a lubricant in it. I normally use LPC contact cleaner that is safe for plastics and leaves no residue. As was mentioned earlier, your substance is probably where they didn't clean good after soldering. You probably could use that LPC if you want to clean it up some.

masterinbama

Looks like the lacquer coating put on the board as a final coating is chalking. This is usually due to flash drying and should pose no problems if this board is not in a extremely high humidity environment.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Anthrax, I've heard electricians are being targeted by some short sawed off guy from Virginia.

JK. ;):D

Roger

chris kennedy

Occupation
Anthrax, I've heard electricians are being targeted by some short sawed off guy from Virginia.

JK. ;):D

Roger

I know its not anthrax, I scrapped some off and snorted it thinking it may be a substance more common here in Miami. Just gave me a headache, still alive and well.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I know its not anthrax, I scrapped some off and snorted it thinking it may be a substance more common here in Miami. Just gave me a headache, still alive and well.
Oh, it was just sand. :D

Roger

zog

I have seen that same issue on circuit boards in trip units, it is from the manufacturing process and is a defect called a "Bloom" often found in cheap Chineese junk made with cheap materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.