Who needs a ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
old switch has 3 screws, new switch has 3 screws and "I put them back just like they came off-- --what IS the problem" ?

No problem....more money for you.
The screw-for-screw or wire-for-wire replacement can be a problem before we get there, like with the one I was called to fix. The washing machine worked sometimes, and it didn't work sometimes.

Followed the new-looking 12/2 from the washer receptacle under the house to find it taped-only connected to an old 14-3, color for color: Black to black, white to white, and red to red-looking bare copper. :confused:

The washing machine worked when the unused but often-flipped-anyway living-room 3-way switch was flipped one way, and was an electrocution-waiting-to-happen when flipped the other way.

I ran a new 12/2 to the panel on a new breaker, found the other cut end of the old 14/3, and spliced them back together. After I asked, they said "Oh, yeah, this living room receptacle doesn't work at all."

It works now, and from two different locations, too.

daleuger

The screw-for-screw or wire-for-wire replacement can be a problem before we get there, like with the one I was called to fix. The washing machine worked sometimes, and it didn't work sometimes..........It works now, and from two different locations, too.

The last contractor I worked for there was a man about 75 that came out of retirement to work for us. (Bleak future if you're in this trade, eh?) We tried to keep him off ladders or lifting anything heavy but sometimes he was just plain stubborn about it. Anyway, he trimmed out this 3 gang box of single pole switches that each were supposed to control a different type of light in this room. When we hit power on it they all seemed to work fine. That is until we went to flip them off. They all turned the lights on but the second two wouldn't turn off, but ALL the lights went out when you turned the first one off. I wasn't the one that went in and fixed it so I didn't get to see the setup, but definitely something screwy there. :confused:

glene77is

Exception B.....you beat me to the punch. I found it after I made that last post. Internet is being positively EVIL today.

Just 'busy' !
I am fortunate to be able to link-in on these Electrical Forums.

In the early 80's we setup telephone links
between Memphis, TN to Glascow, Scotland,
so two Apple II's could send email.
The speed was 30 characters per second (in human terms).
We had to machine code the whole email thing.

This was typical of the academic need which were the impetus for the first 'internet' type link-ups between colleges, in the early 90's.
The real International type network came during the mid 90's.

It is great to have the well developed iNet system
and the speed of the trunk links is unreal!
except they do get busy.
All the computers involved are time-sharing (Von Neumans concept).

Sorry, Off The Topic.

An "EGC" is always required for safety.
Cables do rub, do fault to ground,
and the last thing I want to be is
the Only Thing Grounded !!!

That is On The Topic! :)-)

Last edited:

daleuger

It could be worse, yes. But the high speed is what we've grown accustomed to nowadays. :D

No kidding about being the ground!!

iaov

The screw-for-screw or wire-for-wire replacement can be a problem before we get there, like with the one I was called to fix. The washing machine worked sometimes, and it didn't work sometimes.

Followed the new-looking 12/2 from the washer receptacle under the house to find it taped-only connected to an old 14-3, color for color: Black to black, white to white, and red to red-looking bare copper. :confused:

The washing machine worked when the unused but often-flipped-anyway living-room 3-way switch was flipped one way, and was an electrocution-waiting-to-happen when flipped the other way.

I ran a new 12/2 to the panel on a new breaker, found the other cut end of the old 14/3, and spliced them back together. After I asked, they said "Oh, yeah, this living room receptacle doesn't work at all."

It works now, and from two different locations, too.
Nothin to that wiring stuff. Anybody can do it!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.