Who runs a service body (utility) on a truck chassis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I never have liked the noise that the vans make, especially going around curves something always rattles or slides. Gets on my nerves! I've had everything from a Nissan pickup with side boxes, to full size 3/4 ton vans, to F350 dually diesel utility trucks. The one that has worked the best for me was an F-250 gas burner with a 8' utility bed. I also had one that was four wheel drive, but it was hard to work out of, due to the height of the bins. Can't see where anything is at without feeling around.

Last edited:

220/221

You will get 4 times the room in a box van AND you get a rolling billboard.

DSC01001-1.jpg

StreamlineGT

I'd also think about how often you need to get to extension ladders since one of the complaints I hear from guys with tall trucks is the difficulty involved with getting the ladders on/off and I don't think they make electric or crank racks for bodies like that.

I though of this, and with the "attic", hopefully I can mount the extension ladder on the ceiling inside. I don't use it that much.

I'm not for large rigs either!! Before I started my company, I worked for a company that had--what I Call--a plumbers truck. It was a nightmare trying to park, or even drive up narrow streets. I was always on edge when I drove, and even more when the apprentice was driving.

Yet, only you know your situation, and taste!

I used to be a full time wrecker driver, so this will be the same as driving an international flatbed in the city.

what type of electrical work do you do for the most part? how many guys do you typically haul in a vehicle at a time? that truck is definitely impressive, but do you need that much rig?

I mainly do new resi, additions and remodels lately. I have my share of service, but not a majority of my business.... lately that is. There was a time when I did all service and small installs, but it seems those days have gone for now.

You will get 4 times the room in a box van AND you get a rolling billboard.

DSC01001-1.jpg

I though about this as well, but I can't get over the look. i like the billboard idea, but I also think that outfitting a box truck will be labor intensive if I want to make it just right. I think I will be comfortable with the utilty style.... I think.

Thanks for the replies. Nice truck Mr. Stevens. I contemplated a steel body, and still haven't ruled it out. From what I hear, the FRP bodies are more expensive, even more than aluminum bodies, and FRP is a little heavier. I still haven't made up my mind, and am not fully convinced I want to yet, but I want to make the decision before the van quits.

being able to stand up in a box truck and work like a human would make me never want to be on the jobsite. my guys would be hanging out in the truck playing find the screws for too long comfortably.

active1

I would guess a 2wd gas version of that truck would get 10-12 MPG. And a 4wd would get 8-10 mpg. Fuel is cheaper now but it didn't take long for it to go to $4.50 a gallon. I would say fuel prices will not get any cheaper.

Something elce to remember is weight limits for local residential streets in areas your drive. Some places I've been have a limit of 4-5 tons. Load that truck up and I would guess your weight at 5-6 tons.

If you do resi service it could be too big to park it. We had problems where our truck was too long in the driveway blocking the sidewalk. Never had to pay a fine but got warnings of called to move the truck.

A loaded down duley gets pretty good traction. If you could get limited slip in the back and you would be good to go. Most 4wd provide power to the rear and only 1 front wheel that has the least traction. If the rear is not a limited slip then only 1 rear wheel with the least traction spins also on 4wd.

Status
Not open for further replies.